cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

I cannot get Mathcad 15 to work with my Mathcad Prime License

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I cannot get Mathcad 15 to work with my Mathcad Prime License

I can't get the copy of Mathcad 15 that came with my student copy of Mathcad prime to install or run properly. Mathcad prime is installed and appear to be working correctly. When I run the 15 disc it runs smoothly until the license selection page. I have tried both use an existing license and get a new one online with my product code and for both methods the setup fails and crashes. I really need 15 because without it prime is completely worthless since I can't open any sheet any other person has constructed. I need help the directions online and that came with it are terrible. Thanks

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mzeftel
1-Newbie
(To:PSW)

Patrick,

You can click by the two installs for MathcadPDSi Viewable Support and Windchill ProductPoint Client Manager 2.0. They are other PTC software programs that you don't need.

Did you contact technical support at the link I gave you above? They should be able to help you.

Mona

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
mzeftel
1-Newbie

Patrick,

Read these online instructions. They should help you. Look at the bottom of the page, where it describes how to use your Mathcad Prime 1.0 license file with Mathcad 15.

Mona

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

I have tried those directions and nothing happens, I continue to not be able to install 15 from the cd. Now the whole CD I got will no longer go through the upload prcedure it says it can't find the files.

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

The CD now runs properly. It is going through the install/setup wizard as launched from the cd. The cmd comands from the instructions do nothing, it simply says no such directory can be found. Now the license setup window opens. I have three choices

I want to acquire a new License

I want to configure mathcad to use and existing licensing file

or

I want to configure Mathcad using FLEXnet

I have tried option one by typing in the product code I recieved and it fails to finish the instal properly.

I have tried option 2 and manually found the location of the License file that is allowing prime to work. I go into prime and copy and paste the license routing line into the bar where it asks for the existing file in 15. This fails. I would like to know what I need to do to get it to recognize the mathcad 15 program.

I bought Prime can you just send me a new license for 15 so I can actually use Prime?

Patrick

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I tried once again to instal it and once again It crashed and failed to fully install!! When I look in the program files for mathcad everything appears to be there, but everytime I click the Icon nothing happens and windows starts looking for a non-existent solution.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

What operating system do you use?

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:VladimirN)

I am running on Windows 7. The computer is les then 3 months old.

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

It appears that the main problem may be that the Program itself is flawed and not installing properly to run. It will not even start opening before it crashes out.

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

So, after reading up on the matter it seems as though Mathcad 15 will simply not run correctly on my windows 7 platform. Any advice?

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Are you an administrator on your computer? To install applications, make sure you install as an administrator. To do so, right-click on the install icon and choose Install as Adminstrator. That's not the exact wording, since I'm not looking at it right now, but something similar.

That may be your problem. There are many people running Mathcad 15 on Win7 computers.

Mona

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Yes, the account I am using serves as the admin account.I Just uninstalled the Program and am attempting to reinstall it. But, I don't think it will solve the problem as I have done it many times before this.

On my Windows 7 64-bit Mathcad 15 run without any problems, but first installation was with some problems .

Almost two years ago, when I changed VISTA to Windows 7, I tried to install Mathcad on fresh Windows and then installation failed.

Installation run properly only after installation of my other software (Microsoft Office, AutoCad etc.).

Simply Mathcad installation needs other software to be installed on the computer (see software requirements eg. NET...) - maybe it is a reason of your problems.

Jerzy

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

On the PC following programs should be installed also for Mathcad 15 (quote from "Mathcad Requirements"):
• Microsoft.NET Framework® 3.5 or later.
• MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK (this exact version of MSXML is required).
• Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 or later.

Mathcad_15_Requirements.jpg

In Win7 it is possible to look at these components in "Cotrol Panel" - "Programs" - "Programs and Features" - "Windows Features". Further they can be activated, having put down a tick.

http://www.kodyaz.com/images/articles/iis7-windows7/windows-7-control-panel-programs.PNG

http://www.davidarno.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/add-remove-windows-components.png

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I have everything in my control panel window the same as shown above. I don't know have Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 or later showing up in the uninstall programs window so I will try downloading that from Microsoft. All other system requirements are met or exceeded by my computer. I will post if downloading this simple thing from Microsoft fixes the problems I have been having.

Patrick

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Downloading that file from Microsoft also did not work. Do I need to download 15 before prime or after. I was under the impression that Prime must be installed first to get the license then 15 could be Installed. As of right now Prime seems to be installed and functioning properly, but I have been unable to install 15 behind it to get the Converter to work. I have already installed other programs (ie. Office, Gaussview, Igor, etc.). Does any one have any more advice?

Patrick

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Patrick,

You have 30 days of technical support, especially to help with installation issues. Log your problem here, https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/mathcad_case_logger/options.jsp and check Installation.

Someone should be able to help you,

Mona

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I will try this to see if they can provide solutions.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Patrick,

Look at these instructions to configure the license to run Mathcad Prime 1.0 and 15.0 side-by-side: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/128299/en/Licensing_Instructions_Prime_1.0_-_student_edition_-_052611_-_for_FAQ.pdf

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I have tried this procedure before and it it places the license files in the program folder. However, the program still does not run. It imediately crashes upon opening.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

But, thus there is any error report on the screen (show a screenshot)? Or the program "crashed" and on the screen happens nothing?

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Sorry for the delayed responses. I have been away for some time. I have downloaded all the possible files people have suggested on the feed. Today, I uninstalled 15.0 M005 and tried to re install it. I reciveved the two following messages towards the end of the installation process once windows installer begins and the PTC intaller is still running.

1.) From MathcadPDSi Viewable SUpport

Setup has detected that you already have a more functional product installed. Setup will now terminate.

Then windows installer tries to start again and the following appears.

2.) From Windchill ProductPoint Client Manager 2.0

Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed

the PTC setup menu installer on the CD says MathCad inst4allation is Complete.

Finally, after folllowing the directions to load the license file and I double Click on the MathCad icon no PTC mathcad start up window appears and the following message almost imediately appears.

Mathcad Application Has Stopped Working

Close the program Now

Check Online for a solution to the problem

This sequence happens everytime I try to Install 15 after installing prime. I was under the impression that Prime must be loaded first to obtain the License File then 15 could be loaded and run on the same License document. Am I mistaken?

Patrick

PS. sorry I don't know how to neatly paste some fun screen shots in.

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Patrick,

You can click by the two installs for MathcadPDSi Viewable Support and Windchill ProductPoint Client Manager 2.0. They are other PTC software programs that you don't need.

Did you contact technical support at the link I gave you above? They should be able to help you.

Mona

PSW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Thanks the tech support guys were able to get it worked out with me. Everything seems alright now. Thanks again.

Patrick

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I'm glad that now all is well. You do not need to install "Windchill ProductPoint Client Manager 2.0" if you do not work with the PDM system Windchill.

P.S. A small note: the latest release is a Mathcad 15 M010.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Mona,

But the application "MathcadPDSi Viewable Support" (and also application "PTC Places Namespace Shell Extension") is installed by default (Mathcad 15 M010), whether it is possible to not install its (during installation only active checkbox for "Windchill ProductPoint Client Manager 2.0")?

It would be great if the user could specify itself - to install to its these additional applications or not (like "Windchill ProductPoint Client Manager 2.0"). Maybe PTC should modify the installer?

Top Tags