cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

3D Curve on cylindrical surface and normal sweep

gpeetersem
11-Garnet

3D Curve on cylindrical surface and normal sweep

Hey guys,

I'm trying to design a cylindrical part with 2 normal ribs on it. But first I like to have a curve on the outside of this cylindrical part.

What I've done is: I've created 5 points on the cylindrical part. These points are used to lead the curve through and then I've created a curve.

2022-02-28 15_47_03-Window.png

2022-02-28 15_51_34-Window.png

The problem is that this curve isn't staying on the outside surface of the cylinder...
Does anybody know how to solve this?

Next I want to create 2 ribs on the part. These ribs need to stay parallel with the centerline of the part.
I like to do this with a sweep, but the problem is that I'm struggeling with the settings of this sweep.

2022-02-28 16_04_48-Window.png
Anyone who knows how to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @gpeetersem 

Seems that only thing you missed was to constrain your Datum Curve through points to be created On Surface.

=> Attached a little movie of how I would suggest you to approach this.

Regads,

Serge

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @gpeetersem 

Seems that only thing you missed was to constrain your Datum Curve through points to be created On Surface.

=> Attached a little movie of how I would suggest you to approach this.

Regads,

Serge

Hey Serge,

thanks for this video, this solved my both problems!

YY_8922822
13-Aquamarine
(To:sacquarone)

Hi @sacquarone and @gpeetersem 

Note that such a groove can create a cleavage problem, sweep is a two-dimensional movement while the tool to create such a groove have a three-dimensional movement.

I create a perpendicular surface to the curve and then perform a thicken of material removal.

Top Tags