cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

3D Curve on cylindrical surface and normal sweep

gpeetersem
11-Garnet

3D Curve on cylindrical surface and normal sweep

Hey guys,

I'm trying to design a cylindrical part with 2 normal ribs on it. But first I like to have a curve on the outside of this cylindrical part.

What I've done is: I've created 5 points on the cylindrical part. These points are used to lead the curve through and then I've created a curve.

2022-02-28 15_47_03-Window.png

2022-02-28 15_51_34-Window.png

The problem is that this curve isn't staying on the outside surface of the cylinder...
Does anybody know how to solve this?

Next I want to create 2 ribs on the part. These ribs need to stay parallel with the centerline of the part.
I like to do this with a sweep, but the problem is that I'm struggeling with the settings of this sweep.

2022-02-28 16_04_48-Window.png
Anyone who knows how to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @gpeetersem 

Seems that only thing you missed was to constrain your Datum Curve through points to be created On Surface.

=> Attached a little movie of how I would suggest you to approach this.

Regads,

Serge

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @gpeetersem 

Seems that only thing you missed was to constrain your Datum Curve through points to be created On Surface.

=> Attached a little movie of how I would suggest you to approach this.

Regads,

Serge

Hey Serge,

thanks for this video, this solved my both problems!

YY_8922822
13-Aquamarine
(To:sacquarone)

Hi @sacquarone and @gpeetersem 

Note that such a groove can create a cleavage problem, sweep is a two-dimensional movement while the tool to create such a groove have a three-dimensional movement.

I create a perpendicular surface to the curve and then perform a thicken of material removal.

Top Tags