cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

3D Geometry Compare

CS_10428158
8-Gravel

3D Geometry Compare

Is there a good way to compare two assemblies' geometry?  

I have an assembly that we sent to an outside firm for modifications.  Those modifications were sent back to us as a step file.  The BOM is different and difficult to compare, but the geometries look nearly identical.  Is there a good way to compare model Geometry?

Ideally it would be a transparent model with removed geometry in red (solid) and added geometry in green (solid).  That way I can quickly identify differences in the models.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You could create a temp assembly with a skeleton part in which you inserted the STEP file of the assembly, and then insert the real assembly into the temp assembly and manually compare.  I'm not aware of an "automatic" way of doing this comparison, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was one.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You could create a temp assembly with a skeleton part in which you inserted the STEP file of the assembly, and then insert the real assembly into the temp assembly and manually compare.  I'm not aware of an "automatic" way of doing this comparison, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was one.

Best of luck!

OK so you have them overlap. Afterwards is there a way to see the intersecting geometry?  Would I use global interference?

msmith
14-Alexandrite
(To:CS_10428158)

There is an automatic tool for visually comparing changes between two versions of the same part. See help center document About Part Comparison. You *might* be able to save the assemblies as IGES files, import as parts, and perform the comparison. The visual comparison works exactly like you described:

msmith_0-1675699942533.png

Top Tags