cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

A function as basic as breathing in the real world: Auto-horizon-locking (when rotating the view)

Walker
6-Contributor

A function as basic as breathing in the real world: Auto-horizon-locking (when rotating the view)

Auto horizon locking: Keeping the horizon always horizontal when rotating the view, which is equivalent to keeping the direction of gravity always vertical

Imagine you're making a model in the real world, you want to walk around your model to check its form or structure from different angles. But just as you start walking around the model, something magic happened, the horizon of the whole world began to tilt randomly. You have to struggle to keep your balance while continuing to think and create your model.-----This is exactly what happens when there is no "Auto-horizon-locking" feature.

This should be a function as basic as breathing in the real world, arguably more basic than anything else.

All existing relevant functions (orient mode ) are far from  "Auto-horizon-locking".They all require extra tedious and unintuitive steps.

PTC has created an excellent product. But we hope PTC will pay attention to this missing basic feature that can seriously impact the user experience, perhaps especially for expanding the market, as many of the existing users may be used to suffering from balancing.

We're not dreaming of magical features, we just want to create models without the extra distraction of worrying about our breathing all the time. Thanks.

HH_10302972_0-1652005764840.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Walker)

Creo Parametric does not have a horizon lock. You can submit a product "idea" here https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/idb-p/creoparametric

The only option that I have seen could be the re-orient window, where you can rotate based on horizontal/vertical/normal or any selected entity.

Go to the view tab, select the drop down arrow next to saved orientations, then select Reorient.

You can orient by reference (which is a select entity) or dynamic (which is horizontal, vertical, or normal to the screen)

StephenWilliams_0-1652120906087.png

I personally wouldn't care for a horizon lock. My parts are used in a 3-dimensional world and I need to see if there is a problem from any angle, but that is my opinion only. It is often some parts are used in multiple orientations within my assemblies and its not unusual or my assemblies to have a motion that carries them out of a horizon type context...but this is my experience. I have learned over the years on the community that there are a million users and a million different applications of the software.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
StephenW
23-Emerald II

@Walker  Which software are you using?

Walker
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

PTC parametric 7.0

mcestnik
13-Aquamarine

Use Shift + (Alt) + Arrow keys - available in Creo 9.0.

Walker
6-Contributor
(To:mcestnik)

Thank you for your reply. But I don't get the relevance of this to the problem i described.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Well, never having used this "Auto-Locking" of which you speak, I can't say as if I'd find it better.  I'm so used to what's current (Creo 4 - yup, we're way behind) after using Pro/E for 25+ years, it's just second nature.  I DID prefer the older way of moving/spinning/scaling the viewpoint though.  I DO have the config.pro setting that eliminates the "Spin Center" and thus the view spins about my picked point instead, and I much prefer that.  Can't remember exactly what that setting was though, it might benefit you in addition to the "alt" method also listed for Creo 9.

Me, I'm waiting to see what fancy new name they pick for Creo next...

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Patriot_1776)

Config to turn of spin center:

spin_center_display no

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:kdirth)

Yeah, that sounds right, just didn't have the time to look it up.  Thx!

Walker
6-Contributor

Thank you for your reply. But the "tilt horizon" problem I described is not just showing or hiding the "Spin Center". It's not a display problem. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Creo Parametric does not have a horizon lock. You can submit a product "idea" here https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/idb-p/creoparametric

The only option that I have seen could be the re-orient window, where you can rotate based on horizontal/vertical/normal or any selected entity.

Go to the view tab, select the drop down arrow next to saved orientations, then select Reorient.

You can orient by reference (which is a select entity) or dynamic (which is horizontal, vertical, or normal to the screen)

StephenWilliams_0-1652120906087.png

I personally wouldn't care for a horizon lock. My parts are used in a 3-dimensional world and I need to see if there is a problem from any angle, but that is my opinion only. It is often some parts are used in multiple orientations within my assemblies and its not unusual or my assemblies to have a motion that carries them out of a horizon type context...but this is my experience. I have learned over the years on the community that there are a million users and a million different applications of the software.

Walker
6-Contributor

Thank you for your guidance. There is no doubt that I do not represent all. What you said by using “orient by reference”  and choosing a Horizontal plane to rotate the view is close to what I mean by “horizon lock”. I just think that even if it's a "direction-independent" dumbbell, I still want the horizon of the environment that created it to be stable rather than spinning around. I appreciate your reply anyway. I will submit this product "idea"

Walker
6-Contributor

Walker_0-1652166015519.png

the suggest button grayed out

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I think that means you have to upgrade your level of access on PTC. You can go to https://www.ptc.com/en/support/ and then click on your name/avatar in the upper RH corner. Then either Manage my account or upgrade my account. I don't know remember exactly what is needed.

Walker
6-Contributor

Thank you.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I guess I don't see the problem.  Are you hoping for a software where the VIEWPOINT moves in relation to a stationary model then?  I've never heard of the method you've described.

Walker
6-Contributor

Thank you for your reply.Something like using “orient by reference”  and choosing a Horizontal plane to rotate the view.But not exactly that one.

Top Tags