cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

AMD FirePro 7100

vviitanen
1-Newbie

AMD FirePro 7100

I have AMD FirePro 7100 Graphics adapter and I use creo 3, but performance is quite low. If I spin quite large assembly it looks like I have orient mode and velocity turned on. Is it typical for AMD FirePro cards or can I change something get of this. I have not find any certificate to this card for Creo3, so PTC have obviously noticed problems with this card.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13

Hi,

check the version of graphics drivers. If release date of installed drivers is "old aged" then you can experiment with current drivers available at AMD.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

I am using the newest drivers, I have tried three versions of drivers and same with everyone..large assembly on screen and your mouse wire has turned to rubber wire which makes precise work impossible..it is like lotto.

Hello!

Thanks from a good advice, actually performance is same than with oit. I tested it by Spec Cap Creo 3.0, same results both way...blended and oit. So in FirePro 7100 card OIT is not working! So all advertising is bullshit.

Now working is much more easier and my sore hand is healing because working is much more accurate with mouse

Veikko Viitanen

I have also seen this on W7000, and W7100 AMD cards.

When running the OCUS Benchmark on a workstation with an AMD W7100 -vs- the same workstation with an NVidia K4000,  the W7100 will clock a faster speed.   However,  when using the W7100 with Large assemblies in normal working conditions there is a lag in graphical display during spin/pan/zoom functions.   Its like there is a stretchy rubber band pulling the model behind the mouse.  Then, you stop the mouse and the models finally catch up. The card does the job, and I have never had one crash, but this graphics lag is very strange and makes it feel like there is something wrong.    On the other hand,  the same operations with the same asm's with the NVidia K4000 card is very snappy and precise like a person would expect it to be.    This is why (even though they test slower) I prefer (and recommend) the NVidia cards with my machines instead of the AMD's.

Unfortunately,  I do not have a solution to offer you.   I tried various drivers and "Catalyst Display" settings and never did find a solution.  So,  at this point I can only offer confirmation that your not the only one. 

If you stumble across a solution please let us all know.

Good Luck

Bernie

Bernie Gruman

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

cprice
6-Contributor
(To:bgruman)

I have seen this problem in the past, in my other life. You may want to try turning off the silhouette edges, if they are turned on.

I also always disable the Fast hidden line removal.

This may help.

Charlie Price

Hi

I do not use silhouette edges or Fast Line removal…FirePro is only made for test use not real work.

Thanks…I have two Firepro 7100 cards and both runs benchmarks as same speed but making real work is almost impossible both cards. So it is easiest to buy new card and leave FirePros for entertainment use.

try config.pro
blendend_transparency independent

I have tried it, but performance is very poor. You are right, spinning is much more accurate with blended transparency but OIT was the reason why I bought FirePro 7100 card. I read from PTC that they have make with AMD OIT to Creo and Performance is something you have never seen, 1642% better than in Proe 5. May be that is true, performance is so incredible that you can not stop the spinning when it started but working is like driving a car without brakes. 

Veikko Viitanen

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:vviitanen)

I've seen the same articles.  PTC worked directly with AMD to develop this capability.  The 7100 is supposed to be one of their top of the line cards for CAD work.  Have you tried opening a case with PTC tech support?

AMD FirePro

AMD Business: AMD FirePro and PTC Creo Parametr... | Community

vviitanen
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I think the proplem is that AMD FirePro 7100 is not certified for Creo use. You can check this from AMD page AMD FirePro™ Professional Graphics Certified Applications. If you choose PTC/Creo 3.0 , then you can not choose FirePro 7100 only FirePro 7000 and newest driver is 12.104.2. So I think even PTC do not trust this product..they have noticed that it is not suitable for Creo use. I bought two new workstation one month ago and I spend quite much time for choosing the Video card.  I read many Amd brochure where they tell how many times FirePro is faster than Quadro. First time when I test these cards and notice that they are not very good I read these brochures more carefully and noticed that these results are normalized, what ever is it meaning. So results are not absolute right (older cards results are not normalized). Fun thing is that when you go Shaphire Pgs web page and and use GPU selector and you choose Creo it recommends you AMD FirePro 7100 and then there is link for AMD FirePro™ Professional Graphics Certified Applications > there is no certified driver for this car...so serious is AMD with Creo. My problem is that I do not understand English perfectly and there for understand those brochures wrong way AMD FirePro.

Veikko Viitanen

Veikko,

As Tom suggested, submit a case for Tech. Support with complete machine details.

Now I have solved problems with FirePro 7100. I was contacted with AMD and they helped lot, even give a beta driver which worked quite well but now new driver 14.502.1045-WHQL-FirePro has solved all my problems. Sketcher work very well, spinning wit OIT very well and so on.

Top Tags