cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

ANSI dimension tolerances problem

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

ANSI dimension tolerances problem

Hello to all,

I do not understand how Creo/Elements Pro 5.0 (and also Creo Parametric 1.0 and Creo Parametric 2.0) manages ANSI tolerances. See ANSI_tolerances.doc document in uploaded zip file.

I appreciate any piece of information

Martin Hanak

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.

Martin Hanák
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello to all,

after some fight with PTC support and some testing, I can give you following information:

1.]

The last release which manages ANSI tolerances correctly is Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0.

2.]

All releases newer than WF3 have a bug. PTC Support opened SPR 2161258 to resolve it.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2161258

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Martin, if you are expecting the tolerances to affect the dimensions, then this is your error.

The ANSI tolerance only assigns a tolerance to the dimension if you display the tolerance in one of several ways up to and including limit dimensions. If you do not display the tolerance, it means nothing. I use mostly ANSI standards and refer to title block tolerances based on number of digits, or I explicitly specify the tolerance on the dimension.

As for ANSI vs ISO, ISO adds yet another level of complexity to title block tolerances because it is based on the feature size.

So in general, the default tolerances really don't mean much in my every day CAD life. All I know is that, by the standards, that -everything- must have a tolerance specified on the drawing in one fashion or another.

Another thought: if you assign new dimensions to 2 places, then create the dimension, does it assign the appropriate tolerance by default? Never tried it but would be logical that the default follows the number_of_digits default.

Hello to all,

after some fight with PTC support and some testing, I can give you following information:

1.]

The last release which manages ANSI tolerances correctly is Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0.

2.]

All releases newer than WF3 have a bug. PTC Support opened SPR 2161258 to resolve it.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/spr.jsp?n=2161258

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin!

Top Tags