cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

ASSIGN PTC MATERIAL TO .PRT TEMPLATE

emccann
1-Newbie

ASSIGN PTC MATERIAL TO .PRT TEMPLATE

Hi all,

I would like to be able to select / assign a material when I start a new part without having to go through file>properties>materials....

In short, I want to modify the models properties without having to go through the menus.

I tried adding a string parameter, but it did not work. So I must not be doing something right.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:emccann)

Hello!

The easiest way would be to add both materials to your template and set the parameter PTC_MATERIAL_NAME to the desired value.

mats+in+model.JPG

mat+choice.jpg

But it should be easier to create two templates, one for steel parts and another for aluminium parts. Isn't it ?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
creodential
5-Regular Member

Hi Eileen,

I think you are mixing up the string parameter for the material in a part (or your template) with the actual material properties, means: the assigned .mat file. They are not necessarily linked, unless you use a relation to write the properties of your mat file into your string parameter.

I'd recommend a mapkey that jumps directly to the material section of the part properties and preselect your pro_material_dir. Couldn't live without it.

HTH

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I was trying to apply a .mat file to the template and make it a choice between steel and aluminum. I though i could do it with a string parameter.
I just don't know how to write the relation part.

In the mean time I can always try the map key thing.

Thanks a lot

SylvainA.
4-Participant

Hello!

The easiest way would be to add both materials to your template and set the parameter PTC_MATERIAL_NAME to the desired value.

mats+in+model.JPG

mat+choice.jpg

But it should be easier to create two templates, one for steel parts and another for aluminium parts. Isn't it ?

creodential
5-Regular Member
(To:SylvainA.)

Hi,

that's cool, this solution actually works. I had doubts if switching the material via the drop box would change the density but it does.

I haven't had a look at this parameter until now, 'cause we don't use it. We have a material parameter of our own because the file name of the mat file is not enough on a drawing. But I think I'll have a closer look what else I'v been missing there so far.

@Eileen: The relation you would need is something like

%mat%=material_param("BEND_TABLE") where %mat% stands for your material parameter, but the solution above is way smarter.

Hi Sylvain,

that is exactly what i wanted to do.

Thanks a lot for that solution.

And you are right, it would be easier to have two seperate templates, but i prefer to have only one and change the material easily in case the user did not choose the right template to start with.

Top Tags