cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

About PTC Creo, regarding Drawings of Family table parts

njoshi-3
1-Newbie

About PTC Creo, regarding Drawings of Family table parts

Hello,

I am Naishadh and working as design engineer in an organization. I want to make drawings of Family Table of 50 parts of one basic part.

As we are doing in family table, Is it possible to make generic drawing and automatically other parts of drawing will be made?? Is it possible to do with this method?

Other way, I have option of replacing model in generic drawing but it took so much time for making all thousands of drawings.

Please give me best way quickly in community or in my mentioned email.

Best Regards,

Naishadh Joshi

-

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
mender
6-Contributor
(To:njoshi-3)

Drawing Models > Replace is indeed the best route to making 'a variant drawing which is the same drawing but of a different instance'.

If you have fifty models, as in the first sentence, the easy way would be to make a mapkey or two to automate the steps that are not unique to each drawing, minimizing your time to providing the name of the new model and selecting the replacement instance.

If you have thousands of models... first you should consider if you really want thousands of drawings, or if you want to make them on an as-needed basis.  If you do really want the drawings, then you'll want to automate it more.  Probably the easiest form of automation is constructing a trail file -- run through the steps of making one instance's drawing, and look at the trail.txt file made thereby.  Replacing the places where the new drawing's name and the instance's name are entered/selected with a different one, you can then have a trail that you can run to produce the next instance drawing, and this replacement process can be automated with tools like 'sed'.  You can also repeat the portion of the trail that makes the next drawing, saves, closes the window, and does Erase Not Displayed, and make one trail that will make each of the 1k drawings in turn.  Just be sure that you do close windows and erase models, or your session will quickly get too large!

For a more customizable approach, you could employ Toolkit or other programmatic API, but for the case you've got where the drawings are 'as achieved by Drawing Models > Replace', you probably don't need to go into that.

Top Tags