cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Adding Symbols On A Curved Area

Model_1975
8-Gravel

Adding Symbols On A Curved Area

Hello Community,

I would like to gain the knowledge about how to add simple symbols to a curved area. I´m not sure but I think this is an easy task if you know how to do it. I would like to add "a print" and not a profile (nothing with depth, of course you can show me this too)

Example object - a switch - see attachment. I also just made a model (roughly) so that you can test it if you want - maybe there are other hints or ways which I could do better in Creo 6.0. For now I added layers which are oriantated on the curved area but this is the problem - A flat layer to match on a cruved area...The outcome is not satisfactory.

Don´t be surprised - so far I am not the best on Creo but willing to learn as much as I can.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the response @kdirth 

Your first way I already tested eralier and it works fine. 

The second way - I think - it´s how I made it in the final way - example on a cylinder:

1. Extrude the cylinder

2. Create an offset plane

3. On this plane you draw you sketch / symbols

4. Use the wrap function to wrap it around the cylinder (similiar to Martins answer)

5. Create a sketch on the offset plane (same plane as 2.step) with the loop function for example.

6. Choose the cylinder and create an offset with the use of the extension feature.

7. Choose "sketched Region" under "Options" the sketch from Step 5.

8. Choose "side face perpendicular to" Surface or Sketch.

And this little option (Side Face Perpendicular To...) I searched for because now I can make the profile perpendicular to the surface and not the sketch (Like it was the case in the 1st way). Examples see attached.

Maybe this way is another way what you @kdirth or @MartinHanak meant but it works - you can comment if my description is what you meant...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Model_1975 wrote:

Hello Community,

I would like to gain the knowledge about how to add simple symbols to a curved area. I´m not sure but I think this is an easy task if you know how to do it. I would like to add "a print" and not a profile (nothing with depth, of course you can show me this too)

Example object - a switch - see attachment. I also just made a model (roughly) so that you can test it if you want - maybe there are other hints or ways which I could do better in Creo 6.0. For now I added layers which are oriantated on the curved area but this is the problem - A flat layer to match on a cruved area...The outcome is not satisfactory.

Don´t be surprised - so far I am not the best on Creo but willing to learn as much as I can.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

you can project Sketch on curved surface -OR- wrap Sketch on curved surface. Then you can offset area bounded by curve.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

thanks so far - I made a sketch on basic plane und projected it onto the curved area - see example attached.

How is it possible to colorize those symbols (closed sketch)? 

For example - black block and white letters?!

Or is the colorizing only possible with a depth / profile (part of an 3D profile and not like now an simple 2D sketch) 

Nevertheless, I can´t form the projected letters - only the sketch on the basic plane. I would like to extrude only the projected letters (in negative vertical, curved direction, not straight vertical) - see document 2021-..125657.jpg

thanks for the help!

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Model_1975)

Adding color to a symbol on a model requires a surface in the shape of the symbol.  There are two ways I typically do this.

1.  Create an offset surface, trim it to the shape, and apply color to the surface.  This does not alter the 3D geometry and is good for a symbol that is printed on the surface.

2.  Create an Offset Expand Feature by sketch. and apply color to the surface.  This creates a raised or depressed surface in the 3D geometry and is good for a symbol that will be molded it and inked.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Thanks for the response @kdirth 

Your first way I already tested eralier and it works fine. 

The second way - I think - it´s how I made it in the final way - example on a cylinder:

1. Extrude the cylinder

2. Create an offset plane

3. On this plane you draw you sketch / symbols

4. Use the wrap function to wrap it around the cylinder (similiar to Martins answer)

5. Create a sketch on the offset plane (same plane as 2.step) with the loop function for example.

6. Choose the cylinder and create an offset with the use of the extension feature.

7. Choose "sketched Region" under "Options" the sketch from Step 5.

8. Choose "side face perpendicular to" Surface or Sketch.

And this little option (Side Face Perpendicular To...) I searched for because now I can make the profile perpendicular to the surface and not the sketch (Like it was the case in the 1st way). Examples see attached.

Maybe this way is another way what you @kdirth or @MartinHanak meant but it works - you can comment if my description is what you meant...

Top Tags