cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Adding parameters to parts and drawings after the fact.How do you do it.

BrentDrysdale
7-Bedrock

Adding parameters to parts and drawings after the fact.How do you do it.

Hi Ron,
Yet another way to do this is to have a text file with your parameters set up (example text below) and import this text file into your part relations. Then you update the relations with the tick the new parameters are added to your existing parameters. You then need to delete the text you just imported into your relations BUT this will leave the new parameters in place.
We use this process to update old parts to our new parameter scheme to drive our new drawing formats.

example text in the file

MATERIAL = "REFER TO NOTES ON SHEET 1"
FINISH = "REFER TO NOTES ON SHEET 1"

The example text only shows string parameters but you can make numeric value parameters in a similar way. If in doubt try typing in text directly to the relations then update to see how a parameter is added.

Still requires each part to be open though it may be possible to automate. I have not tried drawing specific parameters so do not know if this works for that. Works well for parts and assemblies.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
Tait Electronics Ltd (www.taitworld.com)
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093

Ron Rich wrote:I have a growing series of drawings, parts and assemblies. Now my customer wants to get more real with this product. So I need to add parameters and such to the parts and drawings for easy format filling and BOM creation. Is there a simple way to globally add parameters to parts and drawings that are already started. I don’t really want to add 5-10 parameters individually to over 50 parts and drawings and 15 assemblies. New ones I can make a new start part but that does not help with all the stuff created up to this point. Ron RichDIRECTOR of MECHANICAL SYSTEMS smartshape www.smartshapedesign.com 2101 SUPERIOR AVE FL2 CLEVELAND, OH 44114 P: 216-241-4200 x 237 F: 216-241-4247

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags