cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Adding to Generic does not add to instance. Why?

GeoffCarter
1-Newbie

Adding to Generic does not add to instance. Why?

I am adding components to the generic assembly, but they do not get added to the instances. If i add them to the instance then they are added to the generic, but as supressed components. This used to be the other way around in previous releases. Has somethign changed? If so, how can I revert to the generic down functionality?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Apparently the features I was referencing to assemble the new components were getting suppressed in the family table. When this happens the new parts do not show up due to the suppressed references not being available. Another good reason to assemble with coordinate systems...

Thanks for your input Martin and Linda!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Geoff,

nothing has changed. If you add new feature into generic, then this feature can be but needn't be driven by family table. Therefore ProE cannot add new feature into family table automatically. On the other way an instance is driven by generic, so everything present in instance must be present in generic's family table.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
linda
5-Regular Member
(To:GeoffCarter)

good family table just list the items which are not common to all the instances, some time you can find the feature or the component with "y" to all instances, you should delete the column to clarify the table.

when you add something to generic, it is shared by all instances, not need to be in the family table, if you add something in instance, just that instance has that "something", other instances do not, so this "something" should be in the family table to show the difference.

That is the problem though. When I add it to the generic assembly it does not show up in the instance. I have checked the model tree filters to see if it is hidden, but no luck. I've been on ProE since version 15 and this is new to me.

Usually this works with no glitches...

Apparently the features I was referencing to assemble the new components were getting suppressed in the family table. When this happens the new parts do not show up due to the suppressed references not being available. Another good reason to assemble with coordinate systems...

Thanks for your input Martin and Linda!

HI Geoff...

I realized you solved this. Just to make anyone else reading the thread is clear though... you assembled your new item to references that were SUPPRESSED in your instances. Therefore, the new item was also suppressed because it referenced items explicitly suppressed in the table.

This is a key feature of family tables. If you have a hole feature followed by a chamfer that breaks the sharp edge of the hole and you suppress the hole in the table, the chamfer goes, too. The same follows for assembly components.

Again, I realize this was already resolved but incase other users search for a similar problem and this thread pops up, I wanted to tie everything together in one last message.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags