cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Angled hole

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Angled hole

Hi all, i was wondering whether it is possible to create an angled hole using the hole tool feature. I want to create a hole in the top of a cylinder on a 30mm pcr angled at 15 degrees away from the cylinder centreline. Now, i have been creating such holes for years, but have always made them using the revolve cut feature, last week i was reading this forum & somebody mentioned that an angled hole can be created using the hole tool feature, but i don't see how. Can it be done? I do not want to create additional datum planes to set this up, i like to keep my models as simple as possible with the minimum amount of features. Regards John
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure whether it can be done 'simply' within the Hole feature... but IMHO there's nothing wrong with your current solution using Revolves. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable and robust approach, and is almost certainly how I'd do it.

It can be done with a coaxial hole. You will need to create an axis at the desired angle, and create a plane normal to the axis at the surface you want to place the hole. Use this place as the surface reference for your coaxial hole. Hope this helps. Rodney WF3

Thankyou for the replies. I realize that the hole could be created in the way you describe Rodney, but i want to avoid the creation of the extra features, ie. axis & datum plane. Regards John

"john pryal" wrote:

Thankyou for the replies. I realize that the hole could be created in the way you describe Rodney, but i want to avoid the creation of the extra features, ie. axis & datum plane. Regards John

John, Another approach would be to enter the coaxial hole command. After the UI for the hole pops up, then create the datums. This is called creating features "on-the-fly." The advantage of doing it this way is it buries the features within your hole command and does not add clutter to your model tree. RB 2001, WF - 2.0,3.0,4.0,5.0
Top Tags