cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Another helical sweep question

ChristianSmith
1-Newbie

Another helical sweep question

I have a helical curve and I want to create a spiral staircase along that helical curve. The main idea is to get the spiral staircase, my thoughts were to use a helical curve and to use a pattern of some sort but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks again. In this screeshot I'm showing the helical curve and the stair I was going to use as the base of my pattern.

untitled.bmp

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Christian,

Try something like the follolwing:

spiral-skeleton.jpg

Create DTM5 Through the central Axis, Offset at an angle from FRONT,

DTM4 Offset above TOP,

DTM6 Through the central Axis, Normal to DTM5,

DTM7 Offset from DTM6,

CSYS at intersection of DTM4, DTM5, & DTM7.

Group these 5 Datum features, and Pattern using the Offset values for DTM4 & DTM5.

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I am not 100% sure, but you can create a pattern along a curve. When you trying to do a pattern, in the type drop-down meny look for Curve and then select the Helical curve that you showed in image.

I hope it works for you Chris.

Christian,

There are numerous ways to approach this. If you are trying to create your "spiral staircase" as a single part with a Variable Section Sweep, you probably want to follow an approach similar to the one suggested for the circular-section design from your earlier post. In other words, create a "ribbon" surface first so that you have suitable references for your outward direction, etc. Actually, it would probably be easier to use a cylindrical reference surface and suitable datum features.

However, if you are really creating a spiral staircase, I would suggest creating it within the Assembly environment. A great way to do this easily is to use a suitable Pattern of Coordinate Systems as your assembly reference. Here is an example. The foundation (purple) part has a pattern of Coordinate Systems in it; they could also be created in the Assembly itself. (A Group of 4 Datum Planes and 1 CSYS was patterned.) The first stair tread was assembled using one CSYS constraint, then simply Reference Patterned.

spiral-staircase.jpg

If you want to try this method and need more details, let me know.

David

If you wouldn't mind providing a little bit more details, I understand the general concept however, I can't seen to duplicate it in Pro/E

Christian,

Try something like the follolwing:

spiral-skeleton.jpg

Create DTM5 Through the central Axis, Offset at an angle from FRONT,

DTM4 Offset above TOP,

DTM6 Through the central Axis, Normal to DTM5,

DTM7 Offset from DTM6,

CSYS at intersection of DTM4, DTM5, & DTM7.

Group these 5 Datum features, and Pattern using the Offset values for DTM4 & DTM5.

David

Brilliant. Took me a little bit but I got it. I feel like I should start paying you for the training. Thanks again for the help.

Top Tags