cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Anyone working to AMSE 14.41 yet?

BillDaugherty
1-Newbie

Anyone working to AMSE 14.41 yet?

Just wondering about this one. The paperless future, is it here yet? For all the talk, everywhere I have ever worked is still reliant on 'paper'. At the best, .pdf graphic files. Am I a dinosaur? LOL...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

At the Model Based Enterprise Summit this summer in Battle Creek, MI it appeared like industry itself is just getting ready for the transfer. BAE and Defense Logistics Agency did a survey of about 400 companies in the U.S. and, if i recall correctly, only four of them were working exclusively off of 3d models and about 40 were capable to do so. So, I'd say you're not a dinosaur....

Thanks. You gave the answer that I expected to get. Where I work the customer is so entrenched in the legacy drawings it won't be happening anytime soon.

Interesting question! My small consulting business is not a legitimate indicator for all of industry, but I see this "paperless" world coming soon and inevitably.

Skeptical myself, 15 years ago, I now find that I design mechanisms, do CNC prototypes, have SLA models and injection molds made, while rarely creating drawings. I think we are not quite there because the documentation tradition itself is strong, but the large subterranian inertia is there. Returning to the example of SLA and mold production, most folks doing such work wouldn't even consider--or even be able to function--these days from drawings; they demand a 3D CAD model, for very good and obvious reasons. Don't get me wrong, I think a certain amount of documentation with simple summary information on a dependable, low-tech, highly portable medium (paper) still has its place. It will be interesting watching this process in the next few years.

Top Tags