cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Are PTC just after your cash?

Johny
1-Newbie

Are PTC just after your cash?

As a company we hold 4 licenses for Pro-Engineer and have done for a few years now. We have become disillusioned with PTC over time, hated CREO and when CREO 2 came out (the bug fix for CREO 1) we decided that as PTC were not moving the product in the direction that we would like to see it we would drop our maintenance. This we have done, and now we hold what has become apparent, 4 useless licenses.

CREO, for all its hype was a step back, caused us a loss of productivity on some major projects and we felt very strongly that we needed to protest against this. We made it clear to PTC that we would be dropping our maintenance because we felt that we were not getting value for money. They seemed to care less. We did not take up the maintenance on our next renewel date and have managed o.k. for nearly a year without any problems. We mainly use Wildfire 4 for compatability reasons, most of our customer base use Wildfire 4 and some have even stayed with Wildfire 3.

However we have lately aquired a new customer who has been using CREO so we had to use it. The first thing that we encountered was a problem with custom BOM Baloons, which caused the program to crash. We were using CREO 2.0 F000, so I thought that it would be prudent to download the latest version and see if that particular bug had been fixed. I was not allowed as I was informed that I was not on active maintenance.

I e-mailed support and told them of the problem and asked if that had any suggestions to put it right and they did not even have the courtesy to reply.

Now I thought that if we had bought and paid for these licenses then I should be given support for the life of product, aparently not. I am not sure how legal that is as I have never known any other software house force you into paying for maintenance fixes when you have already purchased the product. This seems a little mean minded to me, I can understand and accept that the next version of CREO will not be available to us but as we have already paid for licenses for CREO 2.0 I would of thought that we would enjoy a certain level of support.

If the next version of CREO was to be a huge improvement over the current version, and god knows it need to be, then we may decide to opt back into the maintenance program but PTC are not making it easy for us to look upon it favourably.

The bottom line is that if you don't keep paying PTC your cash, then don't expect any help from them. Capitalism at is worst!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Johny)

It is not about the cash... it is about the cash cows. We "little people" really don't amount to a hill of beans. PTC is being paid big money by companies dependent on their support and innovation that we have come to know as extensions. These are catered to the likes of GM until at some point, they make sense to offer to other customers.

Also, opting in for 3.0 will not be cheap... there is a certain amount of back-pay you will owe, as I am sure you are aware from the previous Opt-In to Creo.

I too looked at PTC to actually keep up with the times. I opted in from 2000i and paid a good fortune for the re-up maintenance. I was duped into thinking the flexible modeler was included. Without that, it was a real disappointment.

I have a pretty simple rule as to obtaining maintenance... if contracts don't pay for the maintenance, I won't opt back in. In this case, the buck must be passed to make it worthwhile for me. That same money could go towards another platform all together. Last time I dropped it, I made more money with Cadkey

Top Tags