cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Are there other ways to use &pos_loc: in drawings?

rkocher
1-Newbie

Are there other ways to use &pos_loc: in drawings?

Are there other ways to use &pos_loc: in drawings other than for locating views? I currently have a drawing symbol that uses &sheet:view:<view_name> and &pos_loc:view:<view_name> to show the sheet and zone locations of section views next to the section view arrow. However, this points to the theoretical center of the section view referenced vs. the view name note, which is not per our standards. Is there a way to have this work for showing location of notes (other than parent_note of a detail view)or other symbols?
3 REPLIES 3
MarcHaren
6-Contributor
(To:rkocher)

Did you ever get an answer to this question?

I've been trying to figure out how to reference zone locations for different views (and view types) and can't seem to figure out how its done. I was able to get a detail view to reference the parent correctly (&pos_loc:parent_note) but the parent won't reference the detail view without the specific view name (&pos_loc:view:a) Is there a generic note I can use for all location grid callouts (IE. &pos_loc:view:<view_name>) which just says use the view name associated to the note? Also is there a way to reference section arrows?

iDZignit
6-Contributor
(To:MarcHaren)

I'm exploring this now.

My suggestion would be to create an "EMPTY_REP" simplified rep or "INSPECTION_REP" that contains no geometry of size.  Example, datum planes, csys, point are "sizeless" (is that a word?).  Create this Rep in both START PART & START ASSEMBLY.  Updating current models to incorporate an "EMPTY REP".  Place a view of these empty reps on drawing locations where you want to have &pos_loc:view:<view name> refer to.

DevinHahne
12-Amethyst
(To:rkocher)

Is there any further information regarding this topic?  The PTC support article does a good job of relating the to either the centers of detail views or view labels.  But it looks like the only way to reference the parent views is by the view center.  I know typically we reference one zone locator to another zone locator, and not necessarily to the center of the view itself.  Does anyone know the standard that defines how we're supposed to use zone locator symbols?  Does a standard actually stipulate that the symbols SHALL reference other symbols, thus prohibiting referencing the center of the view?  Looking at some standards (like the Drawing Requirements Manual), it looks like zone locator symbols can be used in lots of places, such as in revision blocks and notes and all kinds of stuff.  And those do not necessarily point to other zone locator symbols.  So, is there a standard stipulating locator symbols SHALL point to other locator symbols?

Top Tags