cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Assembly drawing Family Table with generic BOM

AS_10987481
4-Participant

Assembly drawing Family Table with generic BOM

Hello, I'm working in Creo 10 and making an assembly with alot of parts. I have made a Family Table where I hide some parts in a few instances to highlight parts in each instance.

Now I have a drawing with The generic model containing the whole BOM list. I also have the instance models in the same drawing that I want to attach BOM Balloons to. However when I try that It doesn't work, That is because when i add the generic it generates a separate BOM with different numbers and it is tied to a separate BOM

Is there some way to have the instance keep the generic BOM so I can add balloons?

The same problem occurs when I use simp. rep. I also can't use Layers because I have used the pipe tool it doesn't seem to hide the pipes when I added them to a layer and hide it. Instead it just hides connected parts that I have.

6 REPLIES 6
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:AS_10987481)

Can you add some pictures to help us understand your problems with the BOM's?

Are you making separate drawings for each instance? Each separate drawing has its own BOM?

Balloons are not propagating properly for each instance drawing?

Basically I have a Generic BOM with 12 Items in a drawing. In this drawing I have Instance views (Same assembly). But when I try to put a balloon on the instance view It doesn't work because it is tied to a separate family table. Then I will have to add this separate family table and hide it somewhere, but the problem is that the Instance BOM doesn't have the same Item qty, The Instance has 9 Items which means Item nr. 1 in the generic BOM is not the same as item nr 1. in the Instance, because the Instance has suppressed some of the parts in the assembly, but its only to display hidden parts more clearly. So I was hoping to find a way to assign the generic BOM to the instance assembly if possible.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I typically have separate drawings for each instance (for us, these are separate part numbers) and yes the balloon number does not stay constant from one instance to another.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Repeat region BOM tables can't work across family tables or simplified reps. 

Another possible way to handle this is to use Component display in the drawing. You can blank or change the hidden line removal or set a part to phantom in the drawing. That way you only have one model in the drawing and your BOM balloons work across views.

It's not ideal for models with 1000s of components but with just a few, it works well.

StephenW_0-1725548438866.png

AS_10987481
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Yes it works for a few components, but I also need to hide some pipes which are not parts because the way we do it is make the pipes in the pipe tool but dont convert them to parts, we just display them with the Display Thick Pipes button inside the tool. So maybe that is a practice that we will have to change for this to work properly

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Or my preference, use a local cross section to breakout an area behind a part.

StephenW_0-1725552619850.png

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags