cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Auto-clipping Witness Lines during plotting

akelly
11-Garnet

Auto-clipping Witness Lines during plotting

I know that if you overlap dimension witness lines with geometry, centerlines, etc., the witness lines will automatically get clipped back when you plot. This is a wonderful time-saving feature because it lets you be sloppy with your drawings, but the plot looks neat and the spacing at the ends of the extension lines are uniform.

I was checking a plot this morning and noticed that there is no gap between the dimension witness lines and the associated geometry / centerlines. How can I fix this?

Using Wildfire 4 M220

TIA

Andrew Kelly

Honeywell Sensing and Control

andrew.kelly@honeywell.com

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

I have heard this is the case, but when I plot to a plotter it doesn't clip anything. Is there a setting I am missing?
It does not clip when creating PDF either, nor does the plot preview?

Doug
creo elements/pro5.0
M100

This is the first I'd ever heard of this clipping (in over 12 years of using
pro/e full time), so naturally I had to try it out. So, I opened a random
drawing with some witness lines overlapping geometry, etc, and plotted it.
Sure enough, SOME of the witness lines got clipped, but not all. Does
anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason to which ones get clipped?

--

Lyle Beidler
MGS Inc
178 Muddy Creek Church Rd
Denver PA 17517
717-336-7528
Fax 717-336-0514
<">mailto:-> -
<">http://www.mgsincorporated.com>

Do it right the first time.
Thanks
Greg

Greg Ames
greg.ames@suburbantool.com
Designer
Suburban Tool & Die
4940 Pacific Ave.
Erie, PA 16506
TEL: 814-833-4882
FAX: 814-833-1370
www.suburbantool.com
akelly
11-Garnet
(To:akelly)

This effect is controlled by the drawingoptions witness_line_delta and drawing_units.

In my case, both were set correctly.

I increased witness_line_delta by 50% and all witness lines were auto-clipped correctly. I re-applied the company-standard .dtl and all witness lines were still auto-clipped correctly. No explanation why there's a difference.

Kind of ironicbecauseMonday, I was showing I Pro/E "rookie" that he doesn't need to spend time clipping his witness lines because Pro/E will do it for you.

FYI ... if you plot to "screen", you can see this effect without having to view an external plot file. Just remember that you have to do a repaint before continuing work.

Andrew Kelly

In Reply to Andrew Kelly:

I know that if you overlap dimension witness lines with geometry, centerlines, etc., the witness lines will automatically get clipped back when you plot. This is a wonderful time-saving feature because it lets you be sloppy with your drawings, but the plot looks neat and the spacing at the ends of the extension lines are uniform.

I was checking a plot this morning and noticed that there is no gap between the dimension witness lines and the associated geometry / centerlines. How can I fix this?

Using Wildfire 4 M220

TIA

Andrew Kelly

I increased witness_line_delta by 50% and it still doesn't clip for me?

I am still new to Creo Elements/Pro5. Where is plot to screen now?

Doug
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:akelly)

If I'm not mistaken, it only clips if it actually touches the geometry. If your witness comes close but doesn't overlap, it won't clip. (This may be wrong but I know there is some issue that causes it not to clip)

Also, at tangent radii, the default clipping is usually not sufficient to make it look like there is a good break between the witness line and the tangent radii.

Top Tags