cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

BOM Balloons in WF5

vinson.loos
1-Newbie

BOM Balloons in WF5

To all the DETAIL gurus,

I have a BOM Table with repeat regions set and indexes fixed.

I have 4 sheets with exploded views from simplified reps that show the sequence of build.

I try to show BOM Balloons by 'Create Balloon' and whether I select 'Show All', 'By View', 'By Comp', 'Comp & View', or 'By Record' I get the message "Invalid view for showing BOM Balloons for the region.

What am I doing wrong? Anybody got a clue?

It used to work sweet in previous releases, but not now. Maybe it's me.....

Thanks in advance,
Vinson Loos

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:vinson.loos)

This is something I pulled off the user group some time back. I don't believe we have ever been able to show bom balloons across simplified reps, but I may be wrong.

JEFF'S METHOD:
Here is my method to adding balloons to Simplified Reps using only one table (repeat region) set to the Top Level Assembly.
A.) Top level assembly / create a simplified rep of what you want to have displayed on your drawing Exploded or not. (Save and name it)
B.) Orientate the view around so it looks nice / save the view name.
C.) In drawing mode / Top level assembly active / insert a drawing view using the saved view you created above
D.) Let's clean up the view. Click the pull down: View / Drawing Display / Component Display / Blank / Picked view (now pick the Binoculars, to Search) Click on the View and the Search GUI pops up.
D1.) In the Search Tool GUI chose: Status / Rule= Display / Criteria= Simplified Rep, Sate=(Rep Name Step A above) Comparison= Is equal to, Value= Exclude (we are excluding the Rep from being blanked) Now click on Find Now, Items listed in left column are what will get blanked, click on one of the items and do a Ctrl "A" to select them all, Click the >> to move them into the selected column, and click on close, middle mouse button twice to confirm and exit.
E.) Your new view will only show the simplified Rep, from there you can Balloon the items using the Bom table looking at your top level Assembly.
Tips:
* When creating your simplified rep, use the Exclude rule and add comps as you need them, keeps your view from populating
* When placing your view on the drawing use a small scale size at first while you clean up the view then change it to what you need, this will help in regen time and to help visually trust me on large assemblies you'll need this tip
* When doing a Ctrl "A" to select all the items to blank, before selecting the >> to move them into the selected column make sure Pro is finished searching; Hint Red Stop sign is done flashing.
* You can Explode the view by selecting the view Props and changing values around the way you see fit

Thanks all for responding.

After all the work I put in to make the simplified reps. I guess Wildfire 5.0 doesn't want to abide what I want.

Maybe simplified reps couldn't show BOM Balloons on previous releases all along. But I would think it would be easy enough to make it work. Doesn't appear to be, however.

So, I am just going to do a work around by changing the 'view states' back to 'master rep' and 'blank' the components I don't want to show in that view.

Master rep shows my balloons as usual, I think, so far.

Thanks again,
Vinson Loos

-----End Original Message-----

You can easily blank your parts using the simplified reps you created.

Jeff Taylor
Mechanical Production Engineer, Pure
wfalco
15-Moonstone

A simp rep is like a new model. That is why it won't work. I thought
that was going to be available by now?

wfalco
15-Moonstone

The ability to do this - that is.

wfalco