cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Balloon placement

HatimAbdul
1-Newbie

Balloon placement

I normally add balloons in the drw manually (Table > BOM Balloons > Create Balloons > Comp & View). Why can't I control the initial placement of the balloon (when I middle-click, as we do with dims) instead of the balloon shooting up so far off that I have to zoom out, grab it, and return it to where it belongs?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

I think that's controlled by the dtl option "def_bom_balloons_view_offset". I set it to zero but that won't help much. Any thoughts? Thanks.
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:HatimAbdul)

Well,... I can tell you not to bother setting it to a negative number... all that does is jump back to the default.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Chris, That's funny.. because you can offset a snap line from a view boundary with a negative number so you may think why not balloons. But anyhow, regardless of the offset, I wonder why BOM balloons can't be placed to the exact point where you middle-click, just like dims behave. It even works for the note-type balloons. I understand the purpose is the auto clean-up where balloons are ligned up but would like to have the manual positioning as an option.
CBenner
5-Regular Member

That would be very nice, since I'm usually very unhappy with the auto cleanup positioning anyway. i want the ability to put my ballons where I want them, not where Pro-E wants them. Have you put that in as an enhancement request? Perhaps a bunch of us should, then it might get noticed.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

I don't have access to enhancement requests. My account type is not authorized. If you can, please do.
CBenner
5-Regular Member

Done.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

Was this ever fixed? In some older versions of proE, when a balloon was placed, you had control of the attachment and the baloon placement. On my assembly drawings I use a lot of iso and 3d type views, and cleanup is almost never right. The baloon placement and the attachment are never right. consequently what should take only a few clicks to do ends up taking about 12 for each baloon. And many of my drawings have a hundred parts. This is a huge inefficiency.

Is there a setting that allows the user to place balloons and attachments? Not having that ability ranks up there with the repeat component placement being in a menu instead of in the right click (finally fixed after how meny revisions?)

thanks,

Top Tags