cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Between mating conditions?

ptc-4864603
1-Newbie

Between mating conditions?

Does anyone know of any elegant examples to get between mating conditions. New to ProE, not to modeling, and I keep going down a path and it starts to get so complicated that I can't help but think there has got to be a better way and I'm overlooking the obvious.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Are your thinking centering a plane between two established planes? You have to use relations. You can use a measurement feature as a reference for the distance, and then use 1/2 of that reference for an offset.

Measurement features are something I need to look at.

Thank you.

Ryan, I am far from versed in using relations and parameter in Creo files but I get there eventually.

In the attached case, I built a relationship between the middle plane and the top plane. If you look in the relations view under the features, you will see how the correlation is structured. I hacked my way to get there so you will have to learn to make sense of this spider web on your own. It just doesn't click logically in my brain.

The attached file requires Creo 2.0 full version.

Edit the distance value of the upper plane; regen twice... and the middle plane will take on the new value (1/2 the value of the upper plane).

technically, you can do this with any value using relations. So a component that has an offset has a usable value. A saved measurement feature can be used to manipulate data... etc.

Thank you Antonius. Hopefully I can open open it in Creo 2.0 Training Edition. I am working in WF5, but have that verison installed at home. From you explanation though I can probably figure it out.

The situation that prompted me to ask the question, is this:

I have a plate with rounded slots cut in it for adjustment up and down when it is bolted on. So when I mate it,. the middle of the slot should line up with the bolt hole. Seems like a common mating condition, but I couldn't figure out how to get an axis or a point to be at the middle of the slot without it feeling like I was making it more complicated than it has to be.

Thank you again.

Figured it out and I was right, it was simple.

in case anyone does a search in the future on something like this.

In the sketch for the slot, create a construction line from the center of each full round at the top and bottom of slot. Create a geometry point in the sketch, when you finish the sketch it will create an axis perpendicular to the sketch plane. Use that for the mate.

Yep, that works. Found the axis-generating-point by accident before. Not only that, you need an axis there for the drawing anyway. Before finding the point trick, I was placing a hole there before the slot. Common feature for rack panels.

Top Tags