cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Boundary Blend Failure

Scott67
8-Gravel

Boundary Blend Failure

I tried posting this yesterday but it looks as if it did not go through.  Anyway, I made a sketch of an airfoil profile and then on an offset plane I went to create a new sketch.  The new sketch, say sketch 2, was a pasted copy of the first sketch, sketch 1.  When I pasted in sketch 1 I changed the insertion point to a common of the referenced sketch 1 and rescaled it down by .95%.  All was good so I hit the green check.  I went to the Blend Feature under Engineering Tools where the Swept and Blend Icons are and started the Blend Feature.  Did my selections hit green check and I got a Feature Failed message.  When back tracing I noticed the Start Point was not the same on both sketches.  I tried moving the start point on each model but they never would line up in the same direction.  Why would it do this?  I went back into Sketch 2, and the two splines I created for the airfoil acted like a free lasso and kind of blend apart even though the points were locked into position from sketch 1.  I have tried using different geometry in other temporary parts and the Blend Feature works fine so why with my airfoil did it fail and then checking the Sketch2 geometry it went haywire?

15 REPLIES 15
BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:Scott67)

Could you please share your file so that the issue can be understood clearly ? Thanks

Scott67
8-Gravel
(To:BHOoi)

The subject line is not correct.  It is not the Boundary Blend it is the Blend Function under the shapes tab.  I have tried several different shapes plus re-created the exercise models in PTC University several times.  I also followed an example that was on You Tube be a Decaff10 (I think) where he imported points from NACA Airfoil files and I was able to blend that way.  Now that I am trying to do this with my own airfoil shape it does not work.  After I get the error message I go into Sketch #2 the spline acts like a loose fire hose flopping around.

I have tried attaching a .prt file but the message board is giving me an invalid file extension.

-Scott

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Hi, Scott. You need to zip your file for the upload.

Scott67
8-Gravel

BHOoi,

I have zipped my file.  See if you can see it now.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

I am able to download but unfortunately nothing inside that .stp file. Can you upload the .prt (in zipped format) file? I am on creo 4.

Scott67
8-Gravel

I am also using Creo 4.0.  In my hastiness to get you my file I zipped a step file instead.  Here is the .prt file.  It is strange because both sketches are closed sketches.  See if you can find something I am missing.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

Scott, I tried and it looks ok. Can you review the attached file see if this  is ok ?

Scott67
8-Gravel

BHOoi,

I tried a different test file and it worked out fine.  See attached file.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

yes, I can see it. Did you try open the file i attached?

Scott67
8-Gravel

Yes, I just opened it.  You were able to do it using a surface.  I was trying a solid.  Do you think that matters?  For some reason this file just is not working for me.  One thing I notice is if I try moving the start point (moving the thick arrow) I cannot get it in the same start point.  I have been able to put it in a position where the airfoil gets a twist in it.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

It works well in solid too, see the attached file.

I am running on M040 of creo 4. Wonder why it does not work on yours and the only thing i can blame is the build code.

Scott67
8-Gravel

I am also using M040.  How did you get the starting point to be the same (the grey arrow)?  I cannot get that arrow to be in the same spot in my file.  I am just going to play around with it more.  Thanks for the help.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

you can just drag the start point to any vertex of the section and to flip the direction just click on the arrow.

Scott67
8-Gravel

I can move the arrow to the same point but the direction is always different.  It always points in a different direction.  Other test models I have created have not been an issue just this model.  As the saying goes, "try and try again".

BHOoi
15-Moonstone

did you try clicking on the arrow to flip the direction? So strange if that doesn't work.

Top Tags