cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Built-in vs 3rd party rendering apps

rjethwa
6-Contributor

Built-in vs 3rd party rendering apps

Hi

A pros vs cons question... do people find the built in rendering functionality better than 3rd party apps like Keyshot?

I'm restarting animating a model in Parametric, and watching lots of videos, but then I see some people still discussing questions on how to export mechanics to apps like Keyshot.

Is the animation rendering in Creo Parametric more difficult / longer to complete / not as sophisticated / etc in comparison?

Should I not bother trying to learn Creo Parametric animation rendering and instead export to Blender or Keyshot and do there? I know Blender is free, and I don't have a Keyshot licence.

I have just updated my software to Parametric v11 (educational licence).

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DJNewman
17-Peridot
(To:rjethwa)

Creo Render Studio is powered by Keyshot, but it'll always be at least one version behind the latest version of Keyshot, so it's weaker than what standalone Keyshot will offer. But it's probably easier.

(Creo 11's Render Studio is based on Keyshot 10; Keyshot's latest version is Keyshot 2024; the previous versions before 2024 were 2023, 11, and then 10.)

But Render Studio does let you export to Keyshot.

Creo doesn't have direct integrations with Blender. You can try anyway, but no guarantees it'll be as seamless as with Keyshot.

I manage the Creo and PTC Mathcad YouTube channels for PTC, as well as all PTC Mathcad marketing in general.
DR_8591728
4-Participant

I can only share my experience with rendering engines and creo. For quick renderings, I use the built-in rendering engine. A small trick I learned to simplify the whole process in the rendering scene is to change the background from ENVIRONMENT to COLOR (white). For me this works great and provides even lightening.

I also use blender for high quality renderings, I just like the way this engine works and outputs. Blender is truly not very first-time-user friendly and requires a lot of skill to master, but the basics are easy to learn with some YouTube videos. In my opinion, the best way to import creo files to blender is to export as Wavefront (.obj). If you already colored the model in creo the colors will also be exported. 

In the end, it depends on your personal preference and use case. The whole process with exporting and setting up the model in a 3rd party rendering application (e.g.: Blender) takes time. With a bit of knowledge, you can create some really solid renderings in the built-in rendering engine. 

If you have some questions, feel free to ask.

rjethwa
6-Contributor
(To:DR_8591728)

Great. Thanks for this insight. I'm just a side hobbyist having created a mechanised invention which I'd like to add to a website; I'm not aiming for a career in rendering, etc. Speaking around, some have recommended the 'make a donut' blender YouTubes. Are these what you are referring to, or are there others you think are worth trying too?

Thanks

DR_8591728
4-Participant

Blender in combination with creo is great for objects, that are not moving (my opinion). That's because in blender you cannot just move parts in an assembly using constraints like in creo but have to make a full skeleton of the model (rigging). This is because blender is mainly used for (3D animation, character modeling, short movies, e.g.) But hey, if there is a goal, there is way and maybe you get your result.

The blender donut videos are great to learn the blender basics, which are not really likely the ones you will need for using CAD files. Maybe watch the first or two of them (or all, they are great) because these will show you the first steps. For a first-time-user, blender will be really hard to learn but the videos are great support. 

I will provide some videos for using CAD files with blender:

Exporting from creo for blender (Wavefront):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWe9R5qnfg

Use CAD files with blender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFb4r8UVO0A&t=277s

Donut tutorial playlist for blender:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjEaoINr3zgEPv5y--4MKpciLaoQYZB1Z&si=MJj3DAVgemwCg5no

Again, the donut tutorial is great, but most likely not exactly what you are looking for. These videos will show you how to use blender for non-parametrical modeling (creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D-printed models, motion graphics, interactive 3D applications, virtual reality, and, formerly, video games, advanced water and fluid rendering, e.g.)

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

This Creo Parametric tutorial shows two methods for exporting Wavefront OBJ files: from the Save As command and from within the Freestyle environment. For more information, visit https://www.creowindchill.com. If you learned something from this video, please give it a thumbs up. If you like this ...
Hey everyone. In this video we're going to take an old CAD file I had and create an exploded view animation in Blender 3.0. We will learn a lot about separating parts, removing unnecessary parts, object origins, working with keyframes, and even some shape keys. I will be importing an OBJ but you ...

Hello @rjethwa

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Vivek N
Community Moderation Team.

Top Tags