cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Bulk parts in BOM

ScottWyatt
1-Newbie

Bulk parts in BOM

I have bulk parts in an assembly that I would like shown in the BOM a certain way. I have the quantity in the BOM with "&rpt.qty" as you always would, but the bulk items are shown in the same way. I would rather the bulk part quantity be reported as "AR" (as required) instead of the numerical amount. When I create a bulk part, it has a parameter in it named "BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY" that I suppose could be reported in the BOM if I make a new column and "&asm.mbr.BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY". This would result in two separate columns and that doesn't seem like the right way to go. The other option would be to add the "BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY" parameter to all of the other parts and then only show that column in the BOM, but this wouldn't be updated automatically if I change the assembly. How do I show only one column with the numerical quantity for regular parts and the “AR� for bulk parts?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Scott Quick answer as I'm running off to a meeting (without working out the details). You could create a string parameter in all parts which extracts and reproduces the numeric quantity for normal parts and has the value "AR" for bulk parts. David

You can manipulate any column in a Repeat Region BOM with the proper input and corresponding Relation. But just as a side note, the more columns you change with relations, the more "glitchy" the BOM becomes. To get the QTY column to read AR you first need to change the text input by double clicking on it and using the Report Symbol selections, input the following; rpt - rel. - User Defined - "Enter symbol text" (your text) which we use QTY. Then go to Table - Repeat Relation - select "Relations" and then the BOM repeat reagion and use the following relation below. Note: exchange the part number shown below with your bulk item part number If asm_mbr_name=="3470001020" QTY=AR ELSE QTY=rpt_qty ENDIF Any questions, shoot me an email and I will help you out. Craig Clough CAD Admin EMP

To expand on what Craig said I believe you can write the relation as: If asm_mbr_type=="BULK" QTY=AR ELSE QTY=rpt_qty ENDIF This should cover all bulk parts if you have more than one.

I have it working. Thanks to everyone for the help. Here is what I ended up with: I replaced the &rpt.qty column with &rpt.rel.QTY and added repeat region relations code: IF asm_mbr_type == "BULK ITEM" QTY= "AR" ELSE QTY= rpt_qty ENDIF I had to use "BULK ITEM" instead of "BULK". I also found that when I deleted &rpt.qty from the column, the rpt_qty local parameter was removed as well. I had to manually input both rpt_qty and asm_mbr_type in the local parameters box below the relations box. I was a little surprised by that last step because I thought that those last two parameters were already in use in the drawing. Why do I need to tell the repeat region relations that asm_mbr_type is a parameter when I can input &asm.mbr.type in a repeat region column and it knows what to do? Does it input the local parameter for me? Thanks again. -Scott

I generally don't use the standard "bulk" parts. I like using regular .prt files as bulk items because it gives me more flexibility. For instance, if I want to allow the use of multiple weld filler metals (or oils, grease, etc.) I have a family table "bulk" part that has the instances I want. I can then assemble the instance to a CS, then pattern it, then change the other instances to suit. I use a integer paramater I created called "BOM_OBJECT_TYPE" and each type item has a different value, which I use to both sort all the items in the BOM (assemblies on bottom, then fabbed parts, purchased parts, fasteners, bulk items, weld filler, and paint) and to make certain items such as the bulk items, weld filler, and paint come in automatically as "AR". The key is the relations in the table, the sort order, AND that the models all MUST have the correct parameters. they need not be filled out to give one row per item, but they must be present in the model. It really works out very slick. I've even got the description to sort so the fasteners (weld filler, paint, etc.) all show up in one place, but bolts show up before screws, and it sorts bottom up by size as well. Lot of work and testing to set it up, but my users really like it.
Top Tags