cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

CREO Electrical Enhancements - Consolidated

jforsyth
12-Amethyst

CREO Electrical Enhancements - Consolidated

Being new to CREO and this community I have searched for solutions to issues we are having.  I have found it confusing trying to find solutions with so many posts for the same issue.  I have submitted 2 other posts that describe all of the issues we are having.  It wass suggested that I break these long posts into smaller ones.

My original posts are here:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Ideas/Some-CREO-Drawing-Enhancements/idc-p/485687#M9775

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Ideas/Some-CREO-Enhancements/idc-p/485686#M9774

I am not even sure if this is the location for CREO enhancemments or iif the PTC folks even read these.

I apologize in advance for any duplication.

Pleae add to this if I have imissed anything.

Electrical

Wires and Cabling

Issue

Currently is appears that the wires and cabling created in CREO are actually shaded surfaces and not solids.  When a view is created and trimmed by using a 2D section, the trimmed wires in the view are not closed or capped.  They show two lines with an open end.  If the view is trimmed using a 3D section then the trimmed wires show a cap but it shows a complete ellipse.  In other words it is show the intersection curve on the back side of the wire.  Also, when we send a STEP file to a vendor who only wants solids and turn off the Shells option, the wires are not included.

Enhancement Solution

Make the wires and cables a true solid to make the drawing views better and also to include the wires when send a STEP file.

Connectors

Issue

When a connector is used in a wire or cabling run, the connector needs to be designated each time it is used.  For small assemblies with a few wires or cables, this is not bad.  However, when you are routing 20 to 60 cables with 2 to 6 connectors per each cable, this can be a time consuming task.  And if you create a different assembly for a different customer and program, you have to repeat this process all over again.

Enhancement Solution

When you are creating the connector part, make it possible to designate it and identifying the different ports during the part creation process.  This way anytime this connector is used in any assembly you don’t have to stop and designate the connector before you start routing cables or wires.  You can simply select the entry port as your start and stop point.  If you want to include information such as REF DES, you can do this using an Assembly Parameter (cparam).

Routing Wires and Cables

Issue

The current method, after designating the connectors, is to select the starting point and the ending point of the wire or cable route.  You then go back and add locations for the wires or cables..  You can also create a network and use that to route the wires and cables.  In smaller assemblies this seems to work just fine.  However when you are working with a large assembly and routing 20 to 50 wires or cables this can be confusing.  When you pick the start and end points of the route CREO creates a spline.  When you start adding locations the spine is deformed to include the added locations.  When you are routing a wire or cable that is 50 to 100 feet long, and going through 75 clamps, this can be confusing.  I know you can incorporate a network to help but this doesn’t always work when your wires or cables each has a different routing path.  Additionally networks do not necessarily work in congested areas.

Enhancement Solution

Have the capability to route wires and cables by selecting the starting connector and then select all of the clamps in order until you reach the end connector.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags