cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Internal Volume

ptc-964375
1-Newbie

Calculating Internal Volume

I have a casting, and I want to calculate the volume on the inside of it for oil capacity study. Anyone know of a quick way? I have tried creating a new internal surface by merging all the external surfaces and that is just to time consuming and has not worked properly. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

Do a mass properties to see volume with the part hollowed out. Then create some surfaces to close of the openings, strategically create them remembering the rules of the solidify tool. Then solidify the void and re-run mass props to find the filled in volume, the difference will be the void volume.

Create two analysis features. One before hollowing the part and another after hollowing the part. Create two parameters for the volume and create a relation that will deduct the hollowed volume from the solid volume. If need more information,contact me.

Hello Parthiv, How to contact you? I have a similar problem of calculating volume but is dynamic in nature. I have to calculate the volume of a cavity in a gear-pump assembly. This volume changes as the gears rotate.

Create a dummy assembly and add the casting. Create a dummy part with no geometry for the internal volume and assemble it. Activate the dummy part in the assembly, and copy all the internal surfaces you need (intent surfaces might help in selection). Open the dummy part, and add surfaces to close the quilt, then merge them. Solidify, and there's your volume.

What are the rules for the Solidfy tool? What is this feature used for? Is there anyway to turn it off? (ie: get rid of it) I find this to be the most annoying feature of Wildfire. Maybe because I never use it, I don't know what it's for and I can't figure out any use for it, it just keeps getting in the way, all of a sudden my part (or surface)is red, so what who cares? What is this doing for me? 'Anyone have an explanation? Thanks

One other technique with its own peculiar utility: Create a 2nd part with the internal volume filled in using whatever approach is most efficient. Merge the "real" part and the "filled" part in a dummy assembly, and do a Cutout of the "filled" using the "real". You are now left with a physical model of the internal volume. You can query its volume and mass, and slice and dice it independently. For example you could remove enough material with a horizontal plane to represent various fill levels.

Ian, If you want, post and upload your file(s) at mcadcentral and some of us will show you.

I created an idea to improve the process to find volumes:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2016

this capability as been added recently. require CFD license - To_Define_an_Internal_Volume 

Announcements