cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Can I add my own dimensions, or am I stuck with the ones CREO generates?

Dodge
3-Visitor

Can I add my own dimensions, or am I stuck with the ones CREO generates?

I'm using CREO Parametric 7.0.3.0

When making a sketch, all these dimensions are placed and I can edit the values of each dimension.

Am I able to freely ad dimensions between points even though it may be over constrained? If so, how?

If not, it seems like this frequently causes the need to add and subtract the dimensions that are present in order to ensure the distance between two directly-undefined points. I should at least be able to place a dimension for reference, at least that would avoid over constraining.

Please help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:Dodge)

Select two entities (or one, for radius dims) and then middle mouse button to place it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KenFarley
21-Topaz I

When you draw the various geometric entities that comprise your sketch, you are provided with default dimensions. These are rarely the ones you want. They are assumptions made by the software to fully constrain the sketch.

You will notice that these dimensions are (usually) in a dark gray. This is an indication that they are "weak" dimensions. They are called this because they are often, to be honest, poorly defined dimensions, the minimum to fully locate everything. You can, and I would say should, add your own dimensions to the sketch. As you add your own you will notice that weak dimensions will disappear as you make them unecessary with your "strong" dimensions. The color of dimensions you add will be yellow or whatever your particular installation defines as the color for strong dims.

So, in sort, Creo gives you a bunch of weak dimensions as defaults, which you should replace with more logical ones. Some companies have a requirement that no weak dimensions are allowed in sketches, since they are not thoughtfully placed by the designer.

Dodge
3-Visitor
(To:KenFarley)

What a relief.

I still can't seem to figure out how to add my own dimensions though.

I would think it's as simple as clicking "Dimension" and then selecting two points, but nothing happens when I do that.

How do I add my own?

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Are you holding Ctrl when selecting the second point?

There is always more to learn in Creo.
KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Select two entities (or one, for radius dims) and then middle mouse button to place it.

Dodge
3-Visitor
(To:KenFarley)

Middle mouse button is the step I was missing. Thank you.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Perhaps you should watch some tutorials about using Creo, since these are really very basic techniques for the program. There are hundreds of them out there, put out by schools, companies, etc. The interface likely differs from any other CAD programs you might have used before. They all have their own idea about what the "easiest" or "best" selection method is.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags