cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Can't get dimensions from my model to the drawing

mramsey
1-Newbie

Can't get dimensions from my model to the drawing

New guy here after 15 years of SolidWorks so be gentle. I'm trying to get some model annotations to come in to my drawing. I did something (can't figure out what) and they show up in the drawing tree with the symbol greyed out and a black box next to the name. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them to show up.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mramsey)

Pick on them, delete them, then re-show them with the "Show Model Annotations" tool.

mramsey
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Sorry, no dice with that working. I right click in the drawing tree and hit delete; select the view and hit show model annotations and it's not there any more.

Hi,

I tested your problem. In my test, grey dimension glyphs with black boxes appeared in drawing tree, when I suppressed feature containing these dimensions.

MH

Martin Hanák

There's nothing to suppress. the model is a bushing with one revolve feature. If I suppress it then I don't have a model at all.

Hi,

can you upload the model+drawing ?

MH

Martin Hanák

Since this is such a simple part I tried just deleting all the features in the model so maybe I was starting from scratch. I can't add the OD or the ID of the part, just the length and chamfer dimensions show up.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Just for testing, try creating a new drawing view, or maybe even an entirely new drawing...

mramsey
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

I finally got it. After I had deleted all the features in the model I still didn't have those dimensions in the view. What I had to do was add a new general view and grab the dimensions from there and move them to the view I wanted. That is way more difficult than it needs to be. For all you old time ProE guys I don't know how you hung in as long as you have if this is what you have to go through making a drawing.

It shouldn't matter...but I wonder if the sketch plane for your feature is perpendicular to your drawing view.  Do the dimensions show up if you show them in an iso view?

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Yeah, I have come across your problem in the past and having to show an annotation on a different view and then move it over to the one you want.

But for your example, I didn't have to do this.  Maybe they fixed things in Creo 2.0 M200 - what version are you running?  Can you upload your models?

Looks like we're running 2.0 M130.

Here's the model

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Hi Mike,

Yes, this is one of those bizarre things that I can't easily explain.  For your example, I couldn't even get the ID dimension to show up on the right side view (when I deleted the dimensions in your drawing and then tried to show them again).

It seems to be with how the GD&T items made in model mode sometimes can't be brought over to the drawing mode.  Sometimes it can be explained because the annotation plane used when defining an annotation element does not line up with the drawing view.  Sometimes the mystery is linked to things that are on layers that are hidden in the drawing.

In my experience it is best to create the datums and tags in the model, but to actually make the GD&T frames and attach them to the dimensions in the drawing mode (the created elements will actually exist in the model).

I changed the "A" datum in your model and started a new blank drawing (from our company template).  Here at least the behavior is much more sane:

export.png

I'm curious to see if the drawing works as expected if you try opening the attached files...

When I open it the file still doesn't give me anything new in the model annotations pop up when I try your zip file.

It's really strange. Part of my problem is that I'm just so used to how SolidWorks does things that it's going to take some time to get new habits on how to model and draw. SolidWorks doesn't care what datums you used in the model you can start from scratch in the drawing and it's no big deal. I haven't found a good way to do that with Creo yet.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Not sure what is happening on your end.  I was thinking that with my file you would be able to show the inner / outer diameter dimensions on any view.

Maybe it's a Creo M130 issue, I would recommend upgrading to the latest - at this point the risk of introducing problems is minimal.

And yeah, the annotations in Creo are hard work - but they are getting better.  Still it's a shame that one must not expect to do everything in the model and be able to show the results obtained there on the drawing looking exactly the same.

Top Tags