cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Can you use a assembly parameter(or relation) in multiple parts?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Can you use a assembly parameter(or relation) in multiple parts?

I am trying to figure out how to set a parameter in the main assembly and have it adjust multiple part models.

In other words, I have a part number for an assembly and I am using Extrude > Text to put the number on a bunch of parts.

I thought this would be simple but I tried a bunch of parameter/relation things and searched the forum and help files a bit, and I do not see a simple answer.

Even if you have to do some kind of link in each part model, that's fine. Once I set it up, I am going to make full copies of everything a bunch of times and then start modifying things.

thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
16 REPLIES 16
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Inoram)

Matt, it is not apparent only because there are several ways to do this.

The 1st method would be to use the top-down modeling approach where you activate a part in an assembly and you create features associated with other parts in your assembly. This is probably the fastest way you can get yourself into trouble, but with proper discipline, you can make good headway using this technique. One tip I will give you is to have a single "skeleton" model that has all your interfaces in it, and only use that one part to make external relations with.

Next you have flexible models in your assembly. You can tie features to your assembly through a table. And you can control some of those features with relations and parameters.

The method you refer to directly is similar to the 1st but you explicitly tie part parameters to other part parameters through the assembly. Remember that you can pick up sub-component parameters from the relations dialog ... use the [ ] button and using the "Insert" option

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomD.inPDX)

ok thanks for the help, I tried again real quick, it all leads back to the same thing. It appears it would work in reverse (parts driving assembly), but not assembly driving parts. I'm sure it work, there is just something I am not doing right.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Care to post images of exactly what you want to achieve? I can make a quick video of a way to do it.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

It's about as simple as it sounds. I have a number on a part (like the picture). All the parts are in one assembly, and ideally I can change this number from one parameter(or relation). Because it will be on about 40 pieces per assembly (7 assemblies ultimately).

numbers3.JPG

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

That makes more sense. This should get some replies if I don't beat them too it.

Just in case, you are aware you can do this as an assembly cut, right?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

It will be different sizes and extrude directions.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Agreed. It will be multiple cuts. You can control which object is being cut with the extrude-cut dialog. I'm thinking that the text in the sketch can be controlled by a parameter.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

oh, I see what you mean now. Was thinking you meant one cut. lol. it's kind of late here.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

yes the main goal is controlling the text with a parameter (or whatevever), to make it as efficient as possible to modify.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I wanted to confirm this before I commited to it... Yes, you can make an assembly relation

serial_no="123456A"

Below you can see how you apply it. When the relation dialog opens, use the Insert Selected button.

Also be sure to scrub the Intersect tab dialog to limit the parts it tries to interesect with.text-parameter_in_assembly.PNG

James62
10-Marble

hi Matt,

If you want to have the extrudes on part level then have a look at this thread:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/192700

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:James62)

Jakub, ah ha! that's what I like, PART_PARAM:SID=ASM_PARAM works well it seems. I will have a bunch of those in my relations, but it's fairly easy to setup in the relations dialog box. thanks!

Antonius, thanks for the help. I knew what you meant, but I was trying to avoid using assembly level extrudes. I try to avoid assembly level work on parts as much as possible over all. Although, I probably would have went that route if no other choice.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I knew this was discussed before. Technically the parts are now tied to the assembly. I am curious if you can make the serialized components "flexible" in the assembly and overwrite the part's serial number parameter -only- at the assembly level (as long as it is -not- locked by the part's relation but only a parameter). I am using Serial Number as a for-instance. But technically, you should be able to keep all the parts as stand-alone and the flexibility is -only- driven by the assembly.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Some of these parts are built in mold design, so they are tied to the assenbly anyway.

James62
10-Marble

I can't really confirm for sure what I am about to type here, but from my experience if it's a rather large assembly with more than just one level then it's better to avoid the use of Session IDs, cause each and every assembly or subassembly uses different IDs for same components.

Imagine year or two later you will have to update the assembly with new parts, and try to restructure some components, you will realize that the assembly is better off without these "part" relations, cause of aditional regen time, and lots of yellow lights.

Putting these relations into post-regen field might be an option if relations worked the way they should. Well, maybe on some older version of Pro/E, just try it by yourself and you will see.

If you want everything to be associative. Your best bet is the Top Down design as mentioned by Tom. That is use of a skeleton model with intent selections in features built on part level.

If I didn't want everything to be associative, I'd use Session IDs such that I'd first apply the relations to each of the parts via the assembly, and then I'd just comment them out, so the parameters would become part-only and the assembly wouldn't be bothered with this link anymore.

This little example may sound too confusing or maybe even too simple on the other hand, but let me try. I haven't used SIDs for a while so I might be all wrong, I just doubt you can "force" the assembly to create parameters on part level. So these would all need to be created upfront in each of the assembly parts. Now what if you add a part into the assembly such that the Session IDs get mixed up on their own. You won't see an error cause the relations window isn't opened anymore, in case the parameter isn't predefined in the newly added part, just like it was when you first defined the whole SID thing.

Well, would the assembly just crash then? I have no idea.

Could it be something that could prevent you from changing the assembly? I guess yeah. Just more and more obstacles to come around.

No matter what way you choose, don't forget to share you experience here.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:James62)

So far I really like the PART_PARAM:SID=ASM_PARAM method. It works well so far, I actually have 10 parts in an assembly using 3 different parameters. It was a little less then I originally said, BUT I am still going to make 6 copies of this assembly when I get this one finished. And then change all of them.

I only have one main assembly and this started in mold package, so the pieces are extracted (most of them).

Also, once this is finished there is a slim chance it will ever get used again.

I know what you are saying though, like some things Pro, sometimes stuff just seems to die on it's own.

Top Tags