cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Change Default Sketcher Size

JonS.
2-Guest

Change Default Sketcher Size

I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a setting or option to set the default size for sketcher. I typically work with parts smaller than 1" in size and everytime I begin a sketch on a new part, the size is 100 fold what I would like. For example, if I start a new sketch and draw a circle, Sketcher autodimensions it at 100"+. Then I have to resize it to 1". This is particulatly frustrating if my first shape is anything more complicated than a circle because then I have multiple dimensions to readjust.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Jon

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:JonS.)

I "fixed" this a long time ago by zooming into my normal size (sounds similar to yours), and using that as the template file. Currently I do not have mine set that way, but I am guessing it still works.

Also if you do need to scale a lot of dimensions, you can select them all, use the modify box and tick the Lock Scale option and it will change all the dimensions at once. I have used this in the exact situation you are talking about.

JonS.
2-Guest
(To:Inoram)

Thanks Matt. Unfortunately, I work for a large corporate company who carefully controls our start.prt files and templates. So I can't really modify them. I suppose I could try saying my own custom version of the template and just using that, but it's likely that they would make a change to the master template and then I would no longer be in sync.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

BAH! all these corporate contraints. LOL, yeah not sure what to tell you then. Get in the habit of drawing a construction circle? Not sure.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

If you are using start parts (or templates), you can size the default datums in the start part. This is what drives the extent. You can then also recall all the pre-defined views within the start part to zoom to that size and save them again. Once you begin creating you new parts, you can unlock that fixed datum plane size and they will now automatically fit to the solid geometry's bounding box.

...and welcome to the forum, Jonathan!

Top Tags