cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Change of materials

dpettersson
1-Newbie

Change of materials

I am using different kinds of materials when making simulations on a beam. I use steel as my datum material. Then I fill in the following data in the material properties dialog box.

Material 1 - STEEL1

Tensile Yield Stress: 460 MPa

Tensile Ultimate Stress: 670 MPa

Material 2 - STEEL2

Tensile Yield Stress: 550 MPa

Tensile Ultimate Stress: 760 MPa

When I am doing the exact same simulation with each of the materials I still get the exact same stresses. How can that be?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Even though the materials are different, given the same loads, the stress doesn't change.

Subsequent analysis should be performed to determine suitability of the material.

Stress = Force/Area or Shear Force/Area.

Material is not involved in stress distribution, except as below. It's usually best if the stress in the material is lower than the elastic limit/tensile yield , except for tear-away or frangible applications.

Material is only involved when the material is subject to plastic deformation, where the elastic limit puts a cap on the stress or when the elastic modulus changes in conjunction with plastic deformation.

Top Tags