cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Change the dimension of arrows on a single dimension

baorozzo
4-Participant

Change the dimension of arrows on a single dimension

hi.

CREO 4 user, here.

sometimes I need to have different arrow sizes for some dimensions (i.e. on a second page or a detailed view).

I know that I can set the arrows dimension (height and lenght) for the whole drawing, but is there a way to set these parameters for just one dimension?

or, maybe, to lock these values to the text size through a ratio parameter?

I'm asking that because I don't know if it's even possible, as a lot of other options are locked or hidden by default by the IT department of the parent company.

thanks for your help, for reading this.

have a nice day

5 REPLIES 5
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:baorozzo)

Interesting question.  It would be nice if it had an easy answer.  I'm not a code jockey, but it appears that instead of Creo pulling .png image files from a certain folder, and if you had custom .png files for whatever arrowhead you wanted it would just pull those, it appears that Creo has a set list, and only pulls those .png files from a directory full of ALL the .png files Creo uses.  So, sadly, and stupidly, you can't just make a bunch of custom arrowheads and have Creo use them.  Never thought about this before, but THAT would be a great enhanced functionality, and not difficult from a coding perspective for PTC.  But, what you probably CAN do, is pick one style of arrowhead you never use in this directory, and modify that .png file to whatever you wanted, and just remember that name.  Maybe the "double_arrow_style" (careful, there seems to be 2 of them, dunno which one the dimensions use) could be changed to keep that name (critical) but simply be a Double SIZED arrow?  Or change one of the others.  Here's the directory, and best of luck!  Please make sure to post up if this works for you and the exact steps you took.  Oh, and I think this would be a great case for an "Enhancement Request".  I've never needed this before but I think this would be great functionality for those that DID need it.  Someone might have a better way such as expanding the list of arrow types Creo looks for, but I think that's buried in the code somewhere and as such is verboten to mess with.

C:\PTC\Creo 4.0\M140\Common Files\text\resource

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I did a quick test, and for some reason I couldn't get it to work.  Maybe it's pulling the definitions for the .png files from a network drive.  It SHOULD work.  Perhaps contact PTC about that?

@Patriot_1776 wrote:

I did a quick test, and for some reason I couldn't get it to work.  Maybe it's pulling the definitions for the .png files from a network drive.  It SHOULD work.  Perhaps contact PTC about that?

Hi,

your trick does not work because png files are used in UI, only. See following picture.

arrow_style.png

Martin Hanák

Ah, makes sense.  Not being a "code jockey", I figured I did a simple search on my local drive for the "Double Arrow" and they simply used some sort of stored graphic for each type of arrowhead.  I guess then whatever is used to make the actual arrowheads is buried in the code somewhere aqnd probably made on the fly.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Post a pic of exactly what you want.  You might be able to make a symbol of a big arrowhead and manually place it on the extension lines over the top of the existing arrowhead.  I think that would be pretty easy and work well.  Before Creo 4 I made a ASME datum "plunger" symbol I could use on extension lines.

Top Tags