cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Changing Column Model/Rep in Repeat Region wipes comment columns

lockarde
7-Bedrock

Changing Column Model/Rep in Repeat Region wipes comment columns

Afternoon all!

The subject pretty much says it all..  I have a table that I've saved as a template - all but two columns have repeat region symbols in them, and the last two are set as comment columns.  When I change the Column Model/Rep of my rpt.qty columns, it erases the comment columns.  Is this expected behavior?  I've learned to do the column model change first, and then re designate the comment columns.. but that's extra steps I'd like to avoid. 

In my most recent case - I had the entire table, including my two comment columns all filled out and had to make a change to the Column Model/Rep, and it erased everything I had in the comment columns...  Quite frustrating.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13
Kotom-Eng
15-Moonstone
(To:lockarde)

Hello,

For which software is your question?

http://kotom.eng.free.fr

Creo Parametric (working with the "Drawing Table").

Kotom-Eng
15-Moonstone
(To:VladimirN)

Here he is in the community "Creo Elements Direct > Drafting" which is not Creo Parametric. He may not have an answer if he does not change the community of his post.

sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:Kotom-Eng)

Hello @Kotom-Eng 

This question was posted in >Creo Parametric > 3D Part & Assembly Design forum, not in >Creo Elements Direct >Drafting one, so looks correct to me (unless I missed anything here).

Hello @lockarde 

This behavior, even though you certainly do not expect it from a functional standpoint, is nevertheless a current limitation which is officially documented in article 349706.

"Comments" columns in Repeat Regions - used in parallel of Model/REP change intent - are rarely used (based on my experience in PTC Technical Support, and also because above article has only 3  customer views, and used so far for the closure process of only one case in whole PTC TS Knoweldge Database). This is probably the reason why I was unable to find any existing Idea (Enhancement Request) existing on this question.

Feel free therefore to open one (only if you want), as per steps documented in The PTC Product Idea Submission Process page.

Regards,

Serge

Hello @lockarde 

I forgot to say earlier ... You may like an alternate approach to fulfill your business need, without using Comments in Repeat Regions (due to limitation explained earlier).

If so, you may drive this with Component Parameters (instead of Comments) displayed in one column of the Repeat Region.

=> I illustrated this approach for you in little movie attached, in case this might be interesting.

Regards,

Serge

@sacquaroneThank you for your response!  I would love to have the comment column driven by parameters, but due to the variability it isn't very feasible.  The repeat region is driven by components used in our upper assemblies - the main comment column is a "Made From" column, based on materials which are called out in a "static" region of the BOM.  In my table template, I have our most used materials automatically added, and users remove them as required.  Each one has a 2XX number associated with it, and depending on which one(s) the user removes, the order of the materials would change, thus changing that 2XX number.  Unless there is a way for a relation to be created that automatically adds the 2XX number based on the position in the table?  I could then call that number based on that relation? 

For example, we design containers - so our materials are typically lumber, plywood, foam and fasteners.  One container may use 1x4s, 3/8 ply, while another may incorporate 2x4s, 4x4s, 3/4 ply and foam.  Right now, I direct my groups users to simply delete the rows of materials they are not using, and then fill in the 2XX number.  Could the 2XX number be a single column repeat region that automatically fills in once rows are deleted? 

Then I'm wondering if it's possible to write a relation that searches the materials list and then applies the appropriate M/F 2XX number?

I realize this is very convoluted, but if I could get it working... it would save my group quite a bit of time during the drawing. I've attached an image of part of our BOM with some explanations.

I really appreciate any help you can provide!

sacquarone
20-Turquoise

Hello @lockarde 

Challenging ... I have an idea in mind, using indeed relations, based on logic you can already have a look at, starting from the suggested technique link provided in article 32734

If you look at this suggested technique, the logic is a bit as follows: if Repeat Region finds a bulk item (asm.mbr.type) write AR (As Requested) in the quantity column (instead of rpt.qty). I am therefore wondering if this kind of logic can also be applied (in column 4 of your snapshot), based on material name identified in column 3 of your snapshot.

For this, I could do tests on my side (if above suggested technique won't provide enough level of details to try this approach by yourself), but I'm a bit afraid to not produce the same conditions and constraints you have already, and therefore maybe find a solution for my simple use case, which would however not work in your more complicated context.

=> Therefore, in order to ensure having a good starting point, would it be possible to share one of your drawings here in the comunity as base material to start investigations?

Of course, if you do it, ensure starting from an assembly with few components, and without sensitive (confidential) information. I guess I can start to investigate this even if the parts do not contain any geometry inside (all features deleted in part mode, keeping only material information inside), before backup and sharing purpose here.

=> If you do it, don't forget to close and erase everything afterwards to ensure you won't save a "reworked use case" leading in data loss otherwise.

Regards,

Serge

Thank you!  I will dive into this, but a brief look over seems like I may be able to leverage this.  It would take some fun relations, but seems like there's potential!  Unfortunately, I cannot share any of my drawings - I certainly wish I could, it would make things a lot easier for the community to help!  I will dive into this when I have some time to really experiment, and I will share any results on this thread.  Thanks again @sacquarone !!

sacquarone
20-Turquoise

Hello @lockarde 

Sounds good. Thanks to have let me know. Good Luck then with the repeat region relations!! I'll try to provide then further guidance, based on the eventual material you will share with us later (if you'll be able to produce a sharable starting point with non confidential data created from scratch during your investigations to come).

Regards,

Serge

Kotom-Eng
15-Moonstone
(To:sacquarone)

You are right Serge.
I did not subscribe to this present forum but I received a notification for this post. I did not checked the title. I will take care next time.

I apologize for the disturbance.

@Kotom-EngI think it got moved - I incorrectly posted it in the community you mentioned in your initial response. I appreciate you reaching out and pointing out my error - I'm still fairly new to the forums and wasn't sure where to post my question.

Hi,

please ask PTC Support.

Martin Hanák

Hello @lockarde 

Just for info, to conclude and help a bit further in the direction you're probably looking for, the syntax for the Repeat Region Relations will probably have to be configured similarly of what I paste below:

IF asm_mbr_ptc_material_PTC_MATERIAL_NAME != "C"
TS_MATERIAL=asm_mbr_ptc_material_PTC_MATERIAL_NAME
ELSE
TS_MATERIAL="MAT C"
ENDIF

Look at attached movie for a better understanding.

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags