cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Clean Part loaded - how to bring the Enviroment (Dplanes, Relations etc.) on it?

MP_9215870
9-Granite

Clean Part loaded - how to bring the Enviroment (Dplanes, Relations etc.) on it?

I have some Parts which are without any Datum Planes, Combined States, Relations and so on.

Bevor I check them in into Windchill I need to bring the Environment of my Standard Start Part to these "Empty" Parts - What is the best practice for that, because doing this manually is a lot of work.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MP_9215870)

Modelcheck is the easiest way to do this from the user standpoint. But setting up modelcheck to do this would be a project and would take some time.

As a user, I would make  mapkeys to semi-automate the process of adding datums, relations, parameters.

I would also ask, Why do you have parts with none of these things in them? Are you using start parts? Are you importing models into empty parts instead of importing them in to a file with your start part features?  I do understand there are reasons sometimes but avoiding having to do the extra work would be the ideal solution.

We have a lot of ancient (pre-2000) designs that occasionally need to be updated because they are still active products. Unfortunately those old parts didn't have any parameters that we use for drawings, Bill of Materials, etc. All the information that is automatically put on drawing formats and such was just plain text, bill of materials was a table with the text manually written in, quantities were counted manually, etc. We were such barbarians in those times...

So to get the models up to standards with parameters, I do just what is suggested: use mapkeys to create all the necessary parameters.

Once I've got the parameters defined, I manually enter the values for those parameters based upon the part/assembly being updated.

Alternatively, if you have a part/assembly with all the parameters for a certain project, you can copy/paste a group of them from the "good" file to any file you want to update. This, can save a lot of effort and may provide default values (like create date, author, etc.) that are a good start for all the files in the particular project.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Creating and using mapkeys is your best bet.  Many of the needed items can be imported, by mapkey, from a file created from a good model (parameters, detail options, relations, layers, etc.).  Others will need to be created, by mapkey, with some user intervention possible with a pause (default datums, layer rules, orientations, etc.).

There is always more to learn in Creo.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I have a mapkey that we use to add parameters to files without the required company parameters. Very simple to update and add your own parameter names, if the parameter is designated to Windchill and even an initial value if needed.

Creating a mapkey to add datums and coordinate systems is easy. The drawback is that in my case, ModelCheck will flag a warning that these are NOT the first 4 features in the model.

Alternate suggestion is to create a new file and then import your existing model into this empty file to get the right datums and parameters.

Depending on the number of files... I would make a mapkey to open a proper new start part with the setup you want and copy the model(s) into new parts. Then do the part number shuffle onto the new fixed version and import to windchill as modified. Squeaky clean new parts. 

I do fixes like this from time to time on old or usually noobed up models. Also for replacing files with weird unfixable corruption, except I usually have to recreate all geom for those yikes.

If all the part numbers are truly empty model files... you can rename a bunch of start parts with the numbers and import as modified. No geometry to fuss with.

Top Tags