cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Clearance Hole Tolerance

mlinscott
2-Guest

Clearance Hole Tolerance

Hello,

I have setup my .hol file to include custom formatted notes for different hole configurations using the hole wizard which is very helpful. However, for clearance holes I would like it to callout the tolerance per ISO273. For example for a normal clearance hole for a M8 the hole size is 9mm-9.22mm therefore in the note I would like it to list the range rather than just the modeled value of 9mm. That way I can use the note as I have formatted it and not have to still go in and edit the tolerance. I see there is a column in the table called MED_DEC and CLEAR_DR_MED. What is the difference between these two columns? Is one the call out description and one the hole size to model? I couldn't seem to get it to work. I would like it to model a 9mm hole and have the note say 9.0-9.22.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:mlinscott)

I've done some work with .HOL files recently and I think this will work:

MED refers to the medium fit clearance holes; metric holes can have 3 fits (close, medium and free);  SIDE NOTE: inch holes only have 2 fits (close and free) and the MED columns in the .HOL file not utilized.

So:

MED_DEC is the numeric value that corresponds to the diameter of the hole feature, and will be transferred to the hole feature number parameter called &DIAMETER.

CLEAR_DR_MED is the "text" that will be transferred to the hole feature text parameter called &NUMBER_SIZE.

If you want to format your hole notes to show the tolerance, fill out the .HOL table with 9.0 under MED_DEC; put 9.0-9.22 text under the CLEAR_DR_MED column, and the callout format, use something like:

<CTRL-a>n<CTRL-b>&NUMBER_SIZE/CLEARANCE HOLE FOR &METRIC_SIZE SCREW

keep in mind that the actual dimension tolerance of the resulting hole will be governed by other system parameters; all you will be doing here is properly displaying the tolerance in the hole note.

Top Tags