cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Collapse feature

AlexITG
2-Guest

Collapse feature

Hello to everybody.

Is there some way to use collapse feature in sheet metal module? 

if not, how is possible to do something similar?

Thanks!!

5 REPLIES 5

@AlexITG wrote:

Hello to everybody.

Is there some way to use collapse feature in sheet metal module? 

if not, how is possible to do something similar?

Thanks!!

Hi,

• open sheetmetal part
  • activate Sheetmetal tab
  • expand Operations list
  • use Convert to Solid Part command

Martin Hanák

Thanks for the answer!

In this way I would lose all the features. I would like to collapse just some features (for example some shrinkwrap), not everything...

@AlexITG wrote:

Thanks for the answer!

In this way I would lose all the features. I would like to collapse just some features (for example some shrinkwrap), not everything...

Hi,

I do not have any other idea, please ask PTC Support.

Martin Hanák

Hello @AlexITG 

The technique proposed by @MartinHanak (Thanks a lot for that!!) is the only one allowing to produce an Independent Geometry Feature (affecting therefore the whole history of the sheetmetal model). In Sheetmetal environment (among several others, all described in our article 59684), the Collapse capability is not available as currently not supported.

Regards,

Serge

Hello @AlexITG 

Thinking further about that, and due to limitation documented in the resolution field of article shared yesterday, I may nevertheless suggest a "way to go" in term of methodology for the future, based on your buisness need if my understanding is correct (as you mentioned a shrinkwrap expected to be collapsed).

If the Shrinkwrap is supposed to be considered at the beginning of the Model History of the Sheetmetal Model (because you use some of shrinkwrap surfaces as reference of sheetmetal features later, like an Offset Wall feature for instance):

1. Create first the part as solid part
  2. Insert the shrinkrwrap
  3. Use Collapse capability on the shrinkwrap (supported and working in this context) => You'll get the expected Independent Geometry feature
  4. And ONLY AFTER THE 3 ABOVE STEPS, access now >Operations >Convert to Sheetmetal Part
  5. Create now your sheetmetal features

However, if the Shrinkwrap is supposed to be considered AFTER the first Sheetmetal feature, I'm afraid it's currently not possible to produce the Independent Geometry of the shrinkwrap geometry alone, without collapsing ALL Sheetmetal Features (with Convert to solid part capability originally mentionned by @MartinHanak ), due current limitation we document in this article 59684.

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags