cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Combined state in drawing not working.

hiwatt25
3-Visitor

Combined state in drawing not working.

I'd like to add color to the surface of a part in order to make clear that it needs a particular finish. I've created a combined state that shows the surface with color in the orientation I'd like.  When I add that combined state to the model, it looks perfect but only as long as the combined state is active in the model.  Once the default is selected, I still see the view but I don't see any color.  Anyone know why that's happening?  Thanks in advance. 

12 REPLIES 12

Hi,

I suggest you to ask PTC Support about requested functionality.

Martin Hanák

Hello,

I had the same problem with an Assembly. I want also to use the combined state in the drawing for the Color finishing.
I made a call by the PTC Hotline.

The answer is "works to spec"

Regards Matthias

Any updates on this? Is this "not part of current functionality?"

We're trying to do the same thing. 

Y'know, it's been ages since this issue has come up and we've found a suitable work around.  I guess I just shrugged my shoulders and let the issue die.  Would still be nice if this worked.  

What was your workaround?

I knew you were going to ask that! 😀 Forgive me because it's been nearly a year but I believe I used the "copy" feature to create a copy of the surface I wanted to add color to, changed it's color in the view tab and then used that in my drawing.  I exported the drawing as a color pdf, just the surface(s) I added color to appeared in their specified colors and the vendor was able to easily discern which surface to apply finish to. I'll see if I can find the model/drawing I did this to but it's been forever and I don't remember the P/N.  Good luck!

P.S. After finding the model/drawing I was referring to.  In my case, we need the part produced in 3 separate colors so I ended up creating a family table with each color as a member.  I copied every surface, pasted them over the part and then I was able to add color to each family table member individually so it would show up on the print.  Hope that helps. 

Thanks!

Hi,

This is a good method, but you have the work with the copied surface and then also variants in the database. I wonder why functions are developed by PTC that are then not consistent.
The color is not the only thing that is not taken from the model in the combined state. Also dimensions/remarks/symbols which I align to a model are not transferred cleanly. An update after a change in the model compared to the drawing is also not possible.

rustys
11-Garnet
(To:hiwatt25)

have you tried the config option?     "enable_shaded_view_in_drawings" YES

rustys
11-Garnet
(To:rustys)

also, turn your display style to Shading with Edges

mlengler
9-Granite

It doesn't matter if shading is done with or without edges.

mlengler
9-Granite

Hi hiwatt25,

this config option is set by us as default. So it's possible to see shaded views.

But Creo don't care about the Color effects in the combined state.

It takes the current view setting. By opening a drawing is't every time the standard setting.

Top Tags