cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Common name

chris5
1-Newbie

Common name

Hi out there

Is there a way to change the common name of a part.

A part with me has in the asm tabel a number and a common name.

I can change the number by opening the part and rename it, the common name can I not rename that way.

Anyone knows the answer?

Regards

Chris

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pwyndham
3-Visitor
(To:chris5)

Ok, so you just have the Pro/E files stored on server drives. In theory that should make changing the common name easy.

But, I take it when you have Pro/E open and you open the part and go File -> Rename you do not get the option to change the common name, like this:

CommonName.jpg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pwyndham
3-Visitor

Do you have your parts in the Windows files system on storage drives or in a PDM system?

Hellow Paul

I can only see the number in the windows files system on a server storage drive.

There is no PDM system that I know. Is that a system that gives numbers automaticaly?

If it is we do not have that, I am the only one here who works as designer and on Pro-e.

For the magasin we have another numbering system that is not connected with pro-e in any way.

Hope this helps you to give an answer.

Regards

Chris

pwyndham
3-Visitor

Ok, so you just have the Pro/E files stored on server drives. In theory that should make changing the common name easy.

But, I take it when you have Pro/E open and you open the part and go File -> Rename you do not get the option to change the common name, like this:

CommonName.jpg

Hi

No that I've tried but the common name is in grey and can't be changed.

Is there another way?

Thanks for trying.

Regards

Chris

PS in 10 minutes my weekend starts and I'll be back monday morning at 8 o'clock.

pwyndham
3-Visitor

When I relaunched Pro/E - not linked to Intralink my rename dialog changed.

It now looks like this:

CommonName2.jpg

If I click the radio button to "Rename in Session" it allows me to change the common name.

CommonName3.jpg

Then after I save and reopen the file it seems to have the new common name.

Hi Paul

I think I then have to change the part in the asm with the new part, because will still be in his asm and will stillexist in his old name. Or do I have to open that asm and draft in to the session and will the old file then be deleted?

I will try it in a small asm with a part. I'll let you know watt the result may be.

Thanks for your time and goodwill.

Now I have tried and it works perfect. Thank you very much.

I have struggled with this for a few months now.

Regards

Chris

Chris,

you can also change Common Name using the following procedure.

1.] Create the temporary relation in the part (which you want to rename)

PTC_COMMON_NAME="new common name"

2.] Regenerate part

3.] Remove temporary relation (created in 1.])

4.] Rename part (you will see new common name in Rename dialog)

Martin

Martin Hanák
Top Tags