cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Component Sets in Placement Toolbar?

jwagh
17-Peridot

Component Sets in Placement Toolbar?

Can anyone explain to me what New Set does in the Placement Toolbar when placing a component? I would think you can place the part in multiple locations at once, but that didn't seem to work. Any help? I know when you have an interface, the New Set is changed to New Location and that works fine.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:jwagh)

The two major differences between separate SET and just one more constraint is :

1. If you use Mechanism Connections you need to add New Set. So if you have Planar and want to add Pin you go to New Set.

2. ProE / Creo has an individual control for activating / deactivating separate constraint SET (we do not have it per single constraint). This control happens through component parameter PTC_CONSTRAINT_SET. Parameter appears for each component that gets more than one set created.

Usages are several :

- control parameter by relations / pro/program - as a result component will switch from one placement set to another.

- vary active sets throughout Family Table - by adding this parameter. SO that for INST1 it may be SET1, for INST2 it may be SET2 etc.

Valid input for this parameter is an existing set name (or names, coma separated).

Regards

- Vlad

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II

NEW SET gives you the ability to place the component using a different set of placement constraints. The way I use it is to provide the location(s) of a moving component a location prior to the final location. You can enable/disable each SET to get the component to regenerate in the new location. For me it's something I use during the design process but I usually remove extra SET once I have completed the design.

If you enable both SETS, you will get a placement error if they don't coincide.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

In later versions the Sets can be used in a family table instead of assembling multiple components and suppressing the ones that aren't used.

I'm fairly certain that is the case in Creo 2; though sets are available in WF5, they aren't allowed in family tables.

vzak
6-Contributor

The two major differences between separate SET and just one more constraint is :

1. If you use Mechanism Connections you need to add New Set. So if you have Planar and want to add Pin you go to New Set.

2. ProE / Creo has an individual control for activating / deactivating separate constraint SET (we do not have it per single constraint). This control happens through component parameter PTC_CONSTRAINT_SET. Parameter appears for each component that gets more than one set created.

Usages are several :

- control parameter by relations / pro/program - as a result component will switch from one placement set to another.

- vary active sets throughout Family Table - by adding this parameter. SO that for INST1 it may be SET1, for INST2 it may be SET2 etc.

Valid input for this parameter is an existing set name (or names, coma separated).

Regards

- Vlad

jwagh
17-Peridot
(To:vzak)

thanks!

sfriedrich
4-Participant
(To:vzak)

Top Tags