cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Component placement defining for a slider connection type.

AA_10410379
3-Visitor

Component placement defining for a slider connection type.

Hello everyone, 

I am using Creo 9.0.0.0, and I am trying to define a slider connection for a piston and cylinder to perform its mechanism. I used to do that several times before and it worked. But this time once I define the rotation it is telling me "Connection definition is incomplete".  as shown in the figure. 

I have defined two assemblies, the first one which is the moving parts including the cylinder. The second assembly is the fixed parts including the piston. 

I am not sure why it is not working with me.  

AA_10410379_0-1683444494064.png

6 REPLIES 6

Without seeing the definition of the "axis alignment" for the joint, I am assuming that it is the centre axis of the piston.

Then the plane you are choosing for fixing the "rotation" is perpendicular to the axis of motion - so it does not restrict any rotation about this axis.

I'd expect a pair of planes highlighted in orange for the "rotation" definition in a slider joint: 

pausob_1-1683477910801.png

Your approach is correct. However, the planes will restrict the rotation, but it will allow a motion in one axis: 

AA_10410379_0-1683525960235.png

I would appreciate your help if you know how to solve it. At the moment I am stuck, I could not figure out the solution. 

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:AA_10410379)

If you are wanting rotation and extension, you need to use a cylinder constraint. 

kdirth_1-1683549073659.png

The slider constraint will not allow for rotation.  By picking planes perpendicular to the axis for Rotation, you have created a bad connection.  The rotation constraint for a slider needs to be perpendicular to the axis to control rotation.

kdirth_0-1683548999243.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

Here is an example of both types of connections in an assembly.  The first rod uses cylinder. The second rod uses Slider.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

Missed that typo earlier and am now outside the edit time window.  It should have been:

The slider constraint will not allow for rotation.  By picking planes perpendicular to the axis for Rotation, you have created a bad connection.  The rotation constraint for a slider should be parallel to the axis to control rotation.

kdirth_0-1683548999243.png

Top Tags