cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Confidentiality

bcooper
1-Newbie

Confidentiality

Slightly off the actual modeling of a part but the question was asked of me today, what do we do to insure confidentiality of our models that we send out. All of our drawings have a confidentiality statement but we were advised by a new supplier that that statement did not specifically apply to models. This is concerning because I do send models out during the early development stages of a project without drawings. I have never had an issue but now the seed of doubt has been planted.

How does everyone else handle this?

buck

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Age old and really annoying question from the bean counters although in this case, quite valid.

You have to ask yourself a few questions:

• Is the recipient on a confidentiality agreement? Typically only valid for a number of years.
  • Is the data for a customer entitled to a subset of the information?
  • Is the data for a supplier who requires this information?
  • Is the information being publicly disclosed?
  • Is the information provided for patent applications?
  • Is this data something that requires protection?

Most of these entities have an obligation to maintain confidentiality. The least "trustworthy" are customers.

For sensitive information, I rarely disclose everything. I may just make a skin model by removing all irrelevant detail to provide only the information requested. It is extra work, but it is also due diligence. People tend to want things to easy. Sometimes you have to work to protect your interest. I cannot count the number of times marketing has told me to just export something... HA!

You can also embed a few warnings in some cases. If you export PDF, there is a comment section. In most DXF exports, you can embed the confidentiality statement. You can even add this in the header of many file types. Not that people will pay attention to this but in court there will be a "I'll be damned" moment when you point out your actual due diligence! Most times this is already too late, but it is a very rare instance. today, reverse engineering is so easy you can hardly protect yourself without local and international patents.

If you want to protect a mechanism or method, it is best to keep it to yourself. There is typically much more to your intellectual property than the widget itself. Many times, the manufacturing method is just as proprietary.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:bcooper)

PTC had a module that managed models using an authentication system. When the model was opened, the authentication system would be contacted to see if the opening of the model could procede. It was based on Adobe DRM. One could control models in several ways; like the model would not open after a certain amount of time, or required a password. It was called Rights Management Extension (RMX) This is what it could do: http://www.ptc.com/content/production_content_server/cninv000000000026979/sco3/course_611/tutorial_4022/printable_page.htm

Here's what Adobe offers in that respect today: http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/modules.displayTab3.html#a

I guess not enough people cared to buy it.

Separately, in Creo 3 they added the ability to have a note appear on the screen when a model is opened to serve notice that there are contractual limitations. I can't find it right off, but it allowed an obnoxious notice.

I did see that a note can be displayed on every combined state with a toggle.

I think that is what you are referring to in Creo 3.0.

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:bcooper)

Are you sending out the native Creo or STEP? I'm not very happy with what we have to do for now in sending out STEP. With the right STEP flavors you can export annotation features, but not every receiving system will take it in. I'm stuck with datum curve text for restrictions. Currently we are putting entire statements in, but I am working on getting the OK to just direct them to another document for full restrictions.

Top Tags