cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Context-Sensitive Parameter

Fianna
11-Garnet

Context-Sensitive Parameter

Hi, 

Is it possible to attach a parameter to a particular part / set of parts that is context-sensitive within an assembly? 

We want to add a parameter that specifies if a part is bought by us / manufactured by us / bought in as part of a sub-assembly. There are some places where the same P/N (a clinch stud) is bought in as parts of a purchased assembly, but the same creo part is also bought individually by us and installed by us, so the parameter needs to be different for each instance of each part in each assembly. 

5 REPLIES 5

Hi, 

You may be able to use feature parameters to do what you want. See the attached video. I used model tree columns to show this technique so that you can clearly see that the parts are the same but the values of the parameters vary. I'm not sure what you're doing with this information downstream (if anything) so I can't guarantee this will be the best solution. That said, it is simple and easy to do. 

If feature parameters don't work, I would definitely recommend looking into flexible components. You can vary lots of things including parameters. Video attached. PTC Documentation

Ty

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Fianna)

There are "component parameters" that are within an assembly but refer to a "component" within that assembly only.

Component Parameters typically address this. 

But you have to be careful with them - they can be a bit of a pain to manage (very detailed) and hard to report - and will be specific to the assembly you are working with as I recall.

Yeah, flexible modeling might be the simpler option. Just change the relevant parameter in the cases where it needs to have a different value.

Fianna
11-Garnet
(To:Fianna)

Hi guys, 

thank you for the suggestions; in the majority of cases the parameter will be the same for parts and assemblies so I've added it as a 'normal' parameter to the start parts with the typical initialisation and we'll try flex modelling to adjust is as & when. 🙂 

Top Tags