cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Copying drawings for family table models

awilson-2
4-Participant

Copying drawings for family table models

I have a reoccuring issue I am sure there is an easy fix for but I cant find it. scenario: I create a family table of parts and create a drawing for the generic version. I then copy the drawing to a different drawing number and replace the model in the drawing using the model replace function in the menu manager. now these parts are slightly different.. may have different number of holes, etc. I do not dimension the model. I create all dimensions in the 2D drawing.

when I change the notes or add / delete dimensions on the copied drawing it changes / deletes them on the generic. and vise versa. for example. a hole diameter dimension with a dimension text saying typ. 8 places on the generic drawing. change to typ. 6 places on the copied drawing. go back to the generic and the 8 places has changed to 6.. change it back to 8 and the copied drawing changes....

Why are these drawings with different file names dynamically linked to each other? how do you break that link?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkajdan
14-Alexandrite
(To:awilson-2)

Change config option create_drawing_dims_only to YES.  The default value is NO.  It sounds like you may have this config setting at NO which saves your drawing dimensions to the part.  Setting this config option to YES will save your drawing dimensions to the drawing and not the part.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mkajdan
14-Alexandrite
(To:awilson-2)

Change config option create_drawing_dims_only to YES.  The default value is NO.  It sounds like you may have this config setting at NO which saves your drawing dimensions to the part.  Setting this config option to YES will save your drawing dimensions to the drawing and not the part.

awilson-2
4-Participant
(To:mkajdan)

Perfect. that was the issue. I knew it would be a simple fix, just could not find it.

Thank you

Aaron

Top Tags