cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creo 2 Startup Time

wbowling
3-Visitor

Creo 2 Startup Time

Generally, have y’all found that Creo 2 startup time is considerably longer than its Wildfire predecessors? We are seeing a huge difference and I’m not sure whether it’s Creo or whether there is some security patch that has been applied by IT that is causing the problem.

The other thing that may be related is the long time it takes to launch a shell from Creo 2.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Engineering Design Process Development

Aerojet Rocketdyne
CAD Services
Office: 818-586-0310
Mobile:805-501-4875

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

With the software installed locally to the machine, my Creo 2.0-m090 starts in about 15 or 20 seconds. That's after I've already brought it up in the morning. First start of the day might take over a minute.

If it's a network install, figure over a minute up to 2 minutes.

David Haigh

I've got about 4 seconds re-start on a local SSD install.
If I swamp the cache, which seldom happens, it takes about 16 seconds.

Regards,
Walt Weiss

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:wbowling)

I only use network installs and I'm not seeing times anywhere near that. We use to have load times around a minute, but that was with old server hardware and a 100 Mb network. With new hardware and a 1 Gb network the response time is much better.

Clean Startup - No Windchill Connection
Creo Elements Pro 5.0 M220 - 7.4 seconds
Creo Parametric 2.0 M100 - 8.5 seconds
Creo Parametric 3.0 F000 - 10.8 seconds

Startup With Windchill (and login prompt)
Creo Elements Pro 5.0 M220 - 14.5 seconds

If by "launch a shell" you mean "Utilities", "Open System Window", that is instantaneous for me in both Creo 2.0 and 3.0. (I'm sure there is technically some delay, but I can't discern it visually.)

Tom U.

I took his "launch a shell from Creo" to mean Open System Window from Creo. That happens with no delay for me. Other than there is no menu pick anymore, I have to system window in the command finder. Now that takes time.

David Haigh
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Hmmm. The command is there for me:

[cid:image002.png@01CFA5D5.D66D0600]
mlocascio
4-Participant

It's time to do benchmark studies for Pro/E like they used to..in the olden
days.

FWIW, on my Dell laptop w/an SSD and local installs of WF4 M220 & Creo2 M080 and running our batch file that copies config files from the server at each launch, WF4 came up in about 14 seconds, Creo 2 in 16. I didn't stop my stopwatch until the spinning cursor disappeared for each.

That difference is certainly within the margin of error of my mouse and stopwatch fingers.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dgallup
4-Participant

With network installs (network of indeterminable speed, my workstation has 1Gb card but I doubt all the routers and servers are 1 Gb) I get a "cold start" for WF4 M170 in 20 seconds and Creo2 M100 in 30 seconds. Opening a system window is nearly instaneous for both. No windchill. Sounds like you may have an anti-virus or firewall impeding your system.

In Reply to William Bowling:

Generally, have y’all found that Creo 2 startup time is considerably longer than its Wildfire predecessors? We are seeing a huge difference and I’m not sure whether it’s Creo or whether there is some security patch that has been applied by IT that is causing the problem.

The other thing that may be related is the long time it takes to launch a shell from Creo 2.

W.C. (Bill) Bowling
Engineering Design Process Development

Aerojet Rocketdyne
CAD Services
Office: 818-586-0310
Mobile:805-501-4875

PTC quality philosophy: We've upped our quality standards. Up yours.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I just ran the OCUS benchmarks with Creo 3.0 F000. It was a little slower, but not significantly. I would need to do a new head to head comparison with exactly the same setup (display settings, running services, etc.) to really be sure.

Tom U.

[cid:image002.png@01CFA685.9DBAF410]
Top Tags