cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Creo 3.0 Unite - How it works?

dveljkovic
6-Contributor

Creo 3.0 Unite - How it works?

I am trying to test this "unite" thing with Creo 3.0. Well, I try to open NX native file and Creo tries to translate part to creo format. I thought that I can open native NX file without any translation involved. Or I make a mistake on how to open non-Creo files?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

the functionality in creo 3.0 F000 is only to import not native data..so yes it will convert.

the functionality to open non-native data without conversion will be available in creo 3.0 M020.

and to save as non-native data i.e. (catia,solidworks etc.) would be available in creo M030 with additional cost.

in all the methods mentioned above there would be no history shown or created.

but the data opened is linked to the original..so if the original is updated this data in creo will also be updated.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

the functionality in creo 3.0 F000 is only to import not native data..so yes it will convert.

the functionality to open non-native data without conversion will be available in creo 3.0 M020.

and to save as non-native data i.e. (catia,solidworks etc.) would be available in creo M030 with additional cost.

in all the methods mentioned above there would be no history shown or created.

but the data opened is linked to the original..so if the original is updated this data in creo will also be updated.

It is amazing how PTC advetrise something that does not even work, YET! Thank you for the reply.

I agree!

will solidworks/ catia/ nx/ whatever need to be installed to enable saving to their formats?

i don't see a lot of good reasons why should creo be doing that in the first place, esp. saving to these formats.

read their files yes, much of the editing that you usually need (legacy products, if you migrated to creo) can be accomplished with dumb solids or direct editing anyway (see nx, SE). but such functionality is rarely needed and it can be cheaper to remodel it i suppose.

they should work on the usability of their CAD software, as it still lacks it compared to catia, solidworks. it's not bad, but i feel that both of them are ahead of it (i used swx 2012, catia v5r2013)

Do you have any idea when M030 will be avialable? i am able to open & modify Solidworks filkes in Creo 3.0 M020 but cannot call them back up in SW. The file sxtension on the SW part/assy ends up at ****.creo. This functionality will be very helpful for our company.

thanks

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-109629)

Do you have any idea when M030 will be available?

Creo Parametric 3.0 M030 is currently scheduled to be released on February 18, 2015.

http://support.ptc.com/cs/product_calendar/PTC_Product_Calendar.htm

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-109629)

Dunno how much help this will give you. You will get only dumb geometry in SW file. You might as well export to STEP/IGES.

Unite is mostly to be used in making assembly with other software parts/assys.

So far as I have tested it Creo "reads" surface id so when part updates it doesnt lose reference unless some big changes to model happened. Even then seeing "ghost" of lost reference surface/edge is very helpfull.

Kevin,

I think your company has to buy PTC Creo Collaboration Extension for SolidWorks to enable users to save models as Solidworks parts.

See page 3 in http://www.ptc.com/File%20Library/Product%20Families/Creo/Model/Unite_Technology.pdf

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

i wonder who REALLY needs functionality like this. while cad software migration is not so rare, it's much easier and cheaper to just keep a single lic of the last software as a floating licence for legacy purposes.

i think that you own a solidworks lic as long as you wish without paying subscription after you purchase it (but you don't get new versions or SP of course) without any restrictions.

instead of this they could work on improvements to their user interface, which i still find lacking. not to mention the persistence of the older menu interface still... solidworks is way ahead in such fields.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:Robert2)

It depends on the size of the company and the amount of data involved.

Top Tags