cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo 3 - Assembly Constraints - Inquiry

ArekTRI
12-Amethyst

Creo 3 - Assembly Constraints - Inquiry

Hello,

as a new with Creo, I need some help understanding this CAD.

I came from SW, SE, NX where everything looks logic - differently in Creo.

Would you please tell me where I could find a list of all relations/constraints within Assembly Mode?

I would like to change some assembly constraints, but not changing them going into every part.

Is it possible?

thank you,

Arek

Creo 3 user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:ArekTRI)

Relations and constraints are different things.  In Creo relations are mathematical equations used to drive part or assy dimensions.  In SW these are called "equations" I believe.  Martin has shown you a couple of ways to access them.

Constrains refer to one of two things.

1. The first is within a sketch, constraints control the sketch geometry - horizontal, perpendicular, parallel, equal, etc. 
  2. In an assy, constraints are what controls the position of components.  I believe this is what you are referring to.

In Creo, each component has it's own set of constraints and those can only be accessed by be selecting the component, right clicking and selecting edit definition.  Creo treats the assy much like it does a part.  Each component is added and constrained sequentially.  If you think about placing each one in order based on what is already assembled, that will help you.  I try to build my assemblies in the order I would build the physical assy.

In SW (I'm not familiar with SE or NX), assembly constraints are called mates and exist all together at the assembly level.  I personally found that maddening and painful, but I started in Creo.  Trying to drive SW like Creo and the reverse is a recipe for frustration.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

unfortunately you cannot see and modify assembly relations and component part relations in single area.

Option 1.]

Open part in separate window and modify its relations.

Option 2.]

In Assembly mode open Relations dialog box, switch filter in Look In field from Assembly to Part, select part and modify its relations.

Martin Hanák
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:ArekTRI)

Relations and constraints are different things.  In Creo relations are mathematical equations used to drive part or assy dimensions.  In SW these are called "equations" I believe.  Martin has shown you a couple of ways to access them.

Constrains refer to one of two things.

1. The first is within a sketch, constraints control the sketch geometry - horizontal, perpendicular, parallel, equal, etc. 
  2. In an assy, constraints are what controls the position of components.  I believe this is what you are referring to.

In Creo, each component has it's own set of constraints and those can only be accessed by be selecting the component, right clicking and selecting edit definition.  Creo treats the assy much like it does a part.  Each component is added and constrained sequentially.  If you think about placing each one in order based on what is already assembled, that will help you.  I try to build my assemblies in the order I would build the physical assy.

In SW (I'm not familiar with SE or NX), assembly constraints are called mates and exist all together at the assembly level.  I personally found that maddening and painful, but I started in Creo.  Trying to drive SW like Creo and the reverse is a recipe for frustration.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags