cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creo 3 - part rename in drawing

tczarnecki-2
1-Newbie

Creo 3 - part rename in drawing

Hi

I have a problem in Creo 3, how can I change assembly/part name in drawing?

In Creo 2, there is "Rename" and I can choose part/assembly which I want to change name. I can't find this option in Creo 3.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gfl
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:tczarnecki-2)

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Tomasz,

When you were in Creo 2.0, you likely had the config.pro option rename_drawing_with_object which perhaps didn't carry over to your install of Creo 3.0. Try this option and let us know if it restores the behavior you're expecting.

Hi Clint

Unfortunately it doesn't help. I attach files which , I hope, will help to understand my problemCreo_q.pngCreo_q_1.png

As you can see in Creo 3 there isn't button "2. To select a different model click "

Is it a purposive change?

gfl
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:tczarnecki-2)

I just upgraded to Creo 3 and found this.  I am inclined to use language that would get me kicked off of this forum.  This loss of functionality destroys my start part macros that have been working for over ten years going back to the days of Wildfire.  What possible purpose could be served by removing such a critical tool?  Are they trying to force users into Windchill for their renaming?  That insidious sales extortion is one thing, but I use this as part of my standard part creation mapkey which now looks for a nonexistent button and interrupts the creation.  Very frustrated .  I hope I can find a way to re-record the macros and still get this to work, but I am only about 65% confident that can be done.

This goes beyond an old user complaining about these newfangled icons making their old mapkeys obsolete... in those cases, functionality was added to improve workflow.  This halts workflow.

It looks like the change was to remove the ability to rename a file that is not the active item window. I think PTC was alone on this concept as I don't recall any other application allowing this. Removing this removes a small amount of code that is, though desirable, not without alternative.

What might work is to create a VBA routine that you feed the desired values and it generates a mapkey. Make a mapkey that always reloads the rename-mapkey and then runs that. In any case, if a part/assy is renamed while the drawing is open and both are saved, it will all be good.

If I recall right the ability was there to rename things that were in memory and not even displayed in an active window. Though I never depended on that, I can imagine it an unwelcome surprise (much as the multi=level reporting change between 9.x and 10.x in the middle of a current short term project. While the change was for the better overall, it is an annoyance to change the spreadsheets that depended on the old behavior. And I know, 10.x is passe.)

Top Tags