cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo 4.0 GD & T changes

jharmon
4-Participant

Creo 4.0 GD & T changes

I've been at my present Comany about 4 years, great place, great products. We are finally getting serious about applying GD & T, and we just upgraded to Creo 4.0 from 2.0.

The last time I used GD & T was with wildfire 5 at a different company. At that time our method was to create the Datum, set it as a GD&T datum, then we could attach it to driving dimensions or just show it defining its respective surface or feature. It was easy to apply the feature control frame in the drawing to those datums and driving dimensions that would then reflect back in the model.

Right now, I can create all the symbols, datum tags and feature control frames, but only in the drawing. There is no more set datums functionality in the model and it seems that none of the GD & T from the drawing reflects back on the model.

I'm getting the sinking feeling that I need to purchase the GD&T Advisor extension to have the model driving the GTOL. Is this where PTC is going with GD&T?

Any advise or input would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:jharmon)

It has moved under Model Annotations. see http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/model-based_definition%2FAbout_Annotation_Features.html%23

I don't believe the GD&T Advisor is required to create datum references or FCFs.

It's a process that has always been a bit more difficult than desired.

wrsamuels
14-Alexandrite
(To:dschenken)

Am finding creating all GD&T in a .prt before starting the drawing is best.

Create the Drawing, then show annotations. Datum symbols on surfaces are not allowed to be drug off of the surface like historically done on drawings.

For GD&T on inseparable assemblies like a plate with inserts or a pin am finding its best to create all GD&T in the assembly then create a drawing and show annotations unless you are using CP4 M040 or higher.

Reason is manipulation of annotations of lower level components is pretty much non-existent.

Am using CP4 M040 and am OK in general, but still get frustrated with inability to drag datum symbols off of surface and lack of control of display in a few other scenarios like a diameter displayed in section.

jharmon
4-Participant
(To:wrsamuels)

Thanks for the input.

The problem I'm having with placing the tags in the .prt is if I want that datum to be a datum feature of size, there seems to be no way of associating it with the corresponding dimension of the desired feature. I can kind of muddle through from the drawing.

I've found if the datum tag is created in the drawing, I can then move it off the initial edge or surface, but it will not break that leader line past the geometry of the part, so you get one solid line.

I need to work with this more. I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you.

wrsamuels
14-Alexandrite
(To:jharmon)

in the model with the annotations tab selected, go to model tree select the feature that contains the dim, rmb show annotations, go to datum symbol in ribbon and select datum symbol, attach to displayed dim.

good luck sir.

Bill Samuels

jharmon
4-Participant
(To:dschenken)

Thanks for the link, this is a lot of info to digest but it looks like the answers are in there. 

Maybe I'll post a quick summary once I have had the time to go over all of this.

Top Tags