cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Creo 9.0.4 not responding

Srivalli
8-Gravel

Creo 9.0.4 not responding

Creo 9.0.4 is going to 'not responding' state. Tried re-installing, clearing cache.
Verified config.pro. Nothing seems to work. Could you help with some suggestions other than graphics card?

The same configuration for different users seems to be working fine, but only for one user, it's not working.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your support!

13 REPLIES 13
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Srivalli)

Well, graphics driver issues is the easiest to blame when it only happens on 1 computer.

rename all config.pro, config.sup and ui_customization files.

Perform a classic test ... add following option at the end of an empty config.pro file and test Creo behavior.

graphics win32_gdi

Have this user login on another workstation and see if it is something in his Windows profile.

Are you using a PLM system with Creo? Try Creo in offline mode.

@BenLoosli  Thank you very much for the response!

The user is currently using Windchill within Creo for check-ins. Yesterday, I noticed that their config.pro and CAD files are stored on OneDrive, which can cause slowness. We plan to move these files to a local folder/shared drive and verify if there is any improved performance.
If not, we will try out the steps mentioned. Your insights are welcome.

@BenLoosli  We could see performance is improved when we move config.pro and other files out of One-Drive. But after few days, this is happening again, not very extensively but occurring. User is finding some issues in display when 'win32_gdi' is used.

so, we reverted and cleared the cache, kept the config.pro from shared network drive to his local, but still 'not responding' issue pops up.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

The option graphics win32_gdi is for testing only. It disables opengl on your graphics card. If solves your initial problem, then you have a graphics card issue,  Possibly you need to upgrade your graphics driver or if you have an approved graphics card you can use the "approved" driver.

Remove the graphics win32_gdi option to test the new driver. The graphics win32_gdi option will negatively affect graphics performance on all but the simplest models.

The other thing Ben mentioned is to completely remove all your config.pro/config.sup files and restart creo. If the problem goes away, then your issue is likely a config option in your setup. You'll have to troubleshoot your config files to find it.

@StephenW  After removing the customizations,  performance is good. But user want to have those customizations, it saves some efforts of more clicks.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm just guessing, but I would expect there is exactly one option causing the issue. The challenge is to find out which option that is. (this is my experience, but I'm sure others may have had different experiences!)

What I have done in the past is to remove all the options, then add back in 1/2 of the config. If the problem is there, then you know the problem is in that part of the config, if not, then you know it is in the other 1/2.  Keeping careful track of what has been tested, you can keep repeating this process until you get down to just a handful of options. At this point, I usually just test one by one, starting with what I think may be the most obvious ones.

I consider this the quickest way to find the problem, it's all about keeping track of what you have tried. If there is more than one problem, it may take a little longer to understand. 

@StephenW  Thank you for taking the time to share these insights. I will try and keep you posted. This might work.

@StephenW The problem continues even after removing all customizations. It seems to be quite unpredictable. Could you please offer any further suggestions?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Things to test...each test is separate.

1. Is this just one assembly/part or is it on anything opened? If it is just one model that is causing problems, then you'll have to just work on fixing that model.

2. test the graphics option in the config.pro   graphics win32_gdi   If you add this line to the a config.pro and restart creo, does this seem to solve the problem?  If it does, then you have a video card issue. First, remove the option from the graphics option from the config.pro. I usually will update the video card driver, You may need to try different driver versions to find one that works. 

3. Since you mentioned you are using windchill, you can also try backing up a known problem model to the local hard drive. Open creo unconnected to windchill and test if you still have the problem on the local copy. This will help determine if it is possibly a windchill issue.

4.  Remove (or temporarily rename) all the config.pro/config.sup options and restart creo. When you look at the configuration editor, you shouldn't see any options listed. Make sure there are no options showing in ANY config (this would be like an an out of the box version of creo). I would test this without windchill on the local copy of the files you made previously.

StephenW_0-1719403688952.png

5. Restart the computer and log in as a different user or and admin and test the same files. I believe there have been some instances of user profiles being a problem.

If you have PTC support maintenance, I would suggest opening a tech support ticket.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

On 12-Jun, you said: "After removing the customizations,  performance is good."

On 24-Jun, you said: "The problem continues even after removing all customizations."

Did you try StephenW's suggestion of trying to isolate a bad config.pro option? Are any mapkeys in the config.pro? Are they new mapkeys or carried over from a prior release of Creo? Menu changes in Creo can cause mapkeys to fail. Open the config.pro file in the Creo editor and see if any options are no longer valid and remove them. Try the config.pro with NO mapkeys, just configuration settings.

Is the trail file being written to a local disk or OneDrive? Avoid any network drives for trail files, including your Windchill cache location.

Is this all files for this user? Has this user tried another workstation? Is Creo installed locally or on a network shared location?

Hello @Srivalli

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If it helped to answer your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Vivek N.
Community Moderation Team.

Here are some more things you can try:

• You mentioned some files were being stored in OneDrive. I'd make sure that Creo is starting in a local directory and that the workspace cache is also local to the machine.
  • if there is any automated backup happening, try to disable it for the workspace cache directory
  • if possible, try disabling antivirus software. If not possible, at least verify that is the same version as your other users who are not having issues

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your responses! 
We tried testing in Stand-alone mode, removing all the customizations, removing outdated properties in config.pro.

Re-installed Creo 9.0.4. Upgraded to Creo 9.0.5. Moved all the config files and working directory from One-drive to local drive. Cleared Cache.  These all didn't help, few of the tricks helped for few hours.

The last thing we asked user to use the main monitor for Creo, not secondary desktops. These seems to be good from past 2 days. I will post here if we have any more updates.

Regards,

Sri.

Top Tags